11 Quick Tips To Make Your Trip To Disneyland More Magical

These are things I learned that made my trip extra magical.

54
Franky Dalog, Jr.

I just returned from two magical days at Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure park about a week ago, and it was just as magical as it can be. Being a former cast member at Walt Disney World, it was really cool to experience a park I don’t have much memory of. Also it was my fiancee's first time at Disneyland, so I wanted to make it as magical as possible. These are the things I learned throughout my time in California, and I hope these would help you make your trip a little more magical.

1. Designate a day for each park.

Most people do two or three days, but my last trip was only two days and it was still just as magical. There are so many things to do at each park even though they are significantly smaller than the ones at Walt Disney World. Believe or not, there are plenty of things to do in California.

2. Get to the park as early as you can.

If you are at Disneyland or Disney’s California Adventure Park (DCA) try to get there early, or as close to Park opening as possible. If anything you can try to get Breakfast reservations early as possible so you can enter the park close to your reservation time. Also don’t sweat it when you seem to be running late, there is a grace period after your reservation time, usually around 15-20 minutes.

3. Be spontaneous and make same day reservations, because it's possible.

You can make same day reservations. Especially if it’s a small party like a party of two to four, it’s pretty easy to get reservations to a restaurant the same day. My fiancée and I got same day reservations to Ariel's Grotto (Princess Character dining) in Disney’s California Adventure Park. We were looking on our phones, to see if any restaurants had any reservations open, and we found one for 12:40 p.m. It was only about 1.5 hours away from our current time, as we made the reservations around 10:00 a.m.

4. Buy the one day Photopass package for only $39 including ride, attractions and dining photos (via digital download).

If it’s someone’s first time at Disneyland/DCA I definitely recommend you buy the one day photo pass package. It is only $39 for one day, but so worth it, especially if you have done rides, attractions and dining that has picture options. From park open to park close, the photos you take all day at either park (if you have the park hopper option) is worth it. The memories will last forever, and there are tons of photo pass Cast Members around that can and will help you create magical photographic memories. You can always split up the cost, and you don’t have to buy the photos that day. You have up until 45 days after the photos were taken to decide.

5. Ask Cast Members for tips, recommendations and directions.

Don’t be afraid to ask cast members to take photos for you, or ask for directions especially if you don’t know the layout of the park very well. I love asking cast members their recommendations on food, it’s like a fun adventure going from place to place discovering new things. Talk to cast members around you. You never know what will happen from it. I’ve experienced magic with some very helpful cast members, even if it’s just to help me understand things about the parks.

6. Get food and Fast Pass dining combo for the Paint the Night parade.

If you really don’t feel like waiting a couple hours to get good seating for the Paint the Night parade, I suggest you buy the dining package. My fiancée and I stumbled across the Aladdin dining package for Paint The Night as we were exiting Adventureland because Indiana Jones was shut down for the time being. We ended up just buying the Kids meal which was about $14 whereas the adult meal was about $25. Besides the meal, we also got special Fast Passes that allowed us to be in a special section to sit at for the Paint The Night Parade. For me it was worth it, even though it was essentially paying money for a Fast Pass. It is because my time at Disneyland was so fragile, I paid for it, and it was the best decision. I had an amazing spot, surrounded by an amazing group of family that gave us glow sticks for the parade and overall had a great experience watching my fiancée enjoy the parade for the first time.

7. Grab the Fast Passes you need for the attractions you want ASAP.

Get Fast Passes as soon as you get into the parks. I’ve gotten the World of Color Fast Pass, as well as the Frozen Hyperion show and Radiator Springs Racers (all at DCA) within the first couple of hours of being inside the park. You can check on your phone on the Disneyland App, to find out which attractions has a Fast Pass option. I know that Toy Story Midway Mania doesn’t have that option. Most attractions will only let you get one Fast Pass at a time except for World of Color (that Fast Pass does not hinder your other Fast Passes).

8. Meet a bunch of characters in a dining location.

Meeting characters! Disneyland often has characters in places you wouldn’t think they belong or that they just wander around without much supervision in the parks. I found 10 of the most random characters in the Plaza Inn restaurant for breakfast: Max, Captain Hook, Rafiki, Pooh, Tigger, Chip, Dale, Minnie, Eeyore, and Fairy Godmother were the ones I saw that morning. The only character that is guaranteed to be there is Minnie Mouse, because it’s called “Minnie and Friends” so you never know what friends Minnie will invite to her breakfast that day.

9. Reuse, reduce and recycle by bringing your own bottle of water or container to the park.

Bring an empty bottle of water or container to drink with. You can always ask cast members at a quick service food location to give you a cup of water, it beats buying the bottle water and it’s hot outside. So you need to hydrate a lot. Disney does allow you to bring food inside, just as long as it meets the guidelines, which basically means no glass jar products inside. Be smart and bring some snacks so you can eat them while you wait in line.

10. Dress for comfort and all day walking, be prepared for wet rides if you plan on it.

Bring comfortable clothes and shoes, as well as a poncho if you plan on riding Splash Mountain, the grizzly bear ride or want to be in the wet zone during the World Of Color show. Or even just bring a towel to either wrap around you or to just sit on.

11. Save your Fast Pass ticket for memories.

For those who like scrapbooking like me, you can save your Fast Passes -- just remember to ask a cast member when you go up to show your Fast Pass for a ride or attraction. Usually they would just swap out your Fast Pass for an earlier time one. So instead of your current one it would be a few hours before hand but still the same date. Cast members are usually really nice about it and understand the sentiment of a paper Fast Pass.

I hope these tips were helpful! I wish you the most magical time at Disneyland when you get the chance to go.