11 Things You See On The Broad Street Line

The orange line has it all.

142
Instagram: Waywardtiff

Philadelphia may have its quirks and faults, but the people in this city love it just the same. Philly has a lot to offer tourists, visitors, and locals of the area that will either brighten their day or leave you guessing but wanting more. The Broad Street Line (BSL) is one of the main modes of transportation in the city and there is a lot that happens and a lot to see.

Come to Philly and use the BSL and there is a chance that you'll see at least one of these:

1. Eagles, Flyers, and Phillies fans.

Philly is a sports city and the fans are always out to represent, no matter the outcome of the sporting event! Eagles fans are die-hard and they are a force to be reckoned with. Football is like religion in the city, so during game days, the Orange Line (Broad Street Line) is flooded with green, much like the rest of the city.

The fans are most raucous then and the noise levels can be deafening. There is literally no air or breathing space for any other team or any other event that may be taking place at the same time. The same goes for Phillies and Flyers fans. One perk of living in the city is that you usually get free rides on the Orange Lined during game days!

2. SEPTA dancers.

SEPTA Dancers are a group of males of various ages who are always on the trains dancing their asses off to entertain and to make a buck. They swing around the poles, jump up to the rails at the top of the train car, breakdance, and do backflips in the moving subway. It is quite amazing to see, especially the tiny children.

When their routine is complete they share information about themselves. They accept all donations, small or large. If you give them $20, that means you've got more. If you give them $50 they're your best friends. And if you give them $100 they're going home with you!

3. Musicians galore.

The BSL subway seems to be the underground version of America's Got Talent. There is always someone singing their hearts out, most of them good, but some of those voices should stay at home. When the musicians start finessing riders with their talents, this is when the Simon Cowells and Jeniffer Hudsons and all other "musical judges" show their faces.

4. College Students.

As there are over 10 colleges in the Philadelphia area that uses the subway, there is always a university student on the subway. They are either heading to or from school, parties, or wherever else the wind takes them.

5. Annoying high schoolers.

Being on the subway with high schoolers may be one of the most annoying parts of any of your trips. They are always loud and rowdy and their talk about everything and nothing, and not in a fun way. I was one of those high schoolers once, and we were annoying even then.

6. Excessive use of the word "jawn."

It is not necessarily something that you see, but you'll hear it so much you can see the formation of the word before it leaves the speakers mouth. People will fling about the word "jawn." It's a Philly slang word and can literally mean anything.

7. Selfish riders.

There are literal assholes who take up two or more seats because they just feel like it. Some throw their bags, books, food, and even their feet up in the seat without a care that someone might want to sit beside them. That being said, I am one of those assholes on the train who take up two to three seats because the subway also has smelly people who I would rather not sit with. Case in point, this is me taking up two seats in the sub.

8. People smoking a blunt with no care in the world.

This is one of the most disgusting things to happen on the line. SEPTA has a strict policy that smoking is not allowed underground or in trains, yet people still do it. It is stifling when they smoke because it is all the same air circulating down underground which is problematic for people who have lung issues.

10. Giveaways + Askers.

There are individuals who walk from car to car giving away food and clothing items. Also, unfortunately, there are also people who are homeless and walk from car to car to ask for food and money. They are very nice and respectful when they get a no.

11. Philly Jesus.

Philly Jesus, Oh Philly Jesus! He is a gem in Philadelphia, and may very well be one of its finest. He is very dedicated to his act and he parades around the city taking pictures, "blessing people," and "walking on water" in his solid white garb and a stick in every season. He even has a website and social media accounts to share his message.

Come to Philly, you just might get to be in the presence of Jesus!