11 Things You Never Knew About St. Patrick's Day

You thought you knew what St. Patricks Day was all about, but chances are, you didn't know at least a few of these things.

270

1. St. Patrick isn't even Irish.

Even though he's the patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick's parents were Roman citizens who lived in England, which is where St. Patrick was born.

2. He did have ties to Ireland, though.

He was kidnapped by Irish raiders and became a slave in Ireland when he was 16. He escaped six years later. You would think he wouldn't be the biggest fan of the Irish after that...

3. Green isn't the color that's associated with St. Patrick.

St. Patrick is actually associated with the color blue. He's depicted in artwork wearing blue.

Use this fact on St. Patrick's Day when you're about to be pinched for not wearing green!

4. St. Patrick's name wasn't actually Patrick.

His birth name was Maewyn Succat. He took on the name Patrick when he became a priest. Can you imagine: "Happy St. Maewyn's day?"

5. "Happy St. Patty's Day" is incorrect.

Use "Paddy" instead. It's an abbreviation for Padriag (which is a variation of Patrick). "Patty" is an abbreviation for Patricia.

.

Time to edit your captions on all your social media.

6. St. Patrick's Day hasn't always been about drinking.

It was a dry holiday in Ireland from 1903 until 1970 because it was a religious holiday, not a national holiday.

Things sure have changed...

7. Pubs make a heck of a lot of money now on St. Patrick's Day.

In 2012, it was estimated that $245 million was spent on beer on St. Patrick's Day (not including tips).

I'd be one happy pub owner.

8. The World's shortest St. Patrick's Day parade is only 98 feet long.

In Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas people travel 98 feet from one pub to another.

What a great parade!

9. St. Patrick's Day parades originated in the United States.

Irish soldiers in the English army marched through New York City in 1762. They celebrated their Irish roots and connected with fellow Irishmen in the army.

10. New York now has the largest St. Patrick's Day celebration.

Other large celebrations in the US are held in Boston and Chicago. Chicago even dyes its rivers green to celebrate.

11. But of course, the best place to be on St. Patrick's Day would be Dublin, in Ireland itself.

Lá Fhéile Pádraig!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!