11 Things To Tell Your Freshman Self

11 Things To Tell Your Freshman Self

You're only a freshman once.

20
11 Things To Tell Your Freshman Self
Google images

Dear Freshman Self,

1. College will be every bit as great as you think it's going to be.

That doesn't mean that you won't have bad days or days that you doubt if picked the right school, but overall, it will be worth it.

2. The friends that you make in the first two days probably won't be your friends forever and that's okay.

You're going to talk to everybody in the first couple days, and while some of them might turn out to be your friends and future roommates, other ones will be strangers in a couple months. You don't need to have an intense bond with everyone you meet, so when it takes you a little longer than you thought to find your "group," just know they're coming as quickly as they can.

3. It's okay to go out and party.

You're a freshman. It's what you're supposed to do. It's okay to go out in a pencil skirt in near freezing weather, trying to subtly swig Burnett's pink lemonade vodka from a water bottle. Yes, people will judge you, but don't let it bother you.

4. That being said, it's okay to stay in, too.

You don't always have to go out. It's okay to stay in and have a movie night. It's okay to curl up in bed early on a Saturday. Don't let anyone make you do anything that you don't want to do. Going out and partying is fun, but balance is the key.

5. Cherish the dorm.

Living in the dorm might seem like a prison sentence while you do it, but take the time to appreciate how nice it is. Enjoy having hundreds of people your age close by, only having to walk down the hall to see your friends, and having days where you only put on shoes to go to the dining hall.

6. Try something new.

Whether it's rock climbing at the gym, going Greek, trying a new club, or taking a class out of your interests, you might surprise yourself. You'll learn something, make new friends, and at the very least, you'll get a good story out of it.

7. Find a good study technique and swear by it.

I know they all say, "Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow," but that isn't really the best approach. Budget time for your schoolwork, get it done ahead of time, and you'll decrease your stress and get better grades

8. Call your parents.

Even if they're not paying your way through college, they love you and they miss you (even if they don't admit it). No, a text doesn't count.

9. Don't take that extra shot.

Sometimes, it's not worth it. If there's any chance that the "one last shot" is going to push you over from "drunk" to "couldn't make it to my 8 a.m. class" or "puked in my friend's hair," you should probably just...not.

10. Budget your money.

Well, $80 for a fake ID might be worth it, but think of how many Chipotle runs you'll have to miss out on. Figure out a way to set aside money for the fun stuff, but not so much that you run out of money for the important things. It'll be a huge stressor off your life.

11. Enjoy it.

You're only a freshman once. It's sure to be a crazy, fun, scary, and exciting time of your life and college career, so don't rush it.

Love,

Your Older Self