11 Things That Happen When You're Best Friends With Your Grandma

As told by Betty White.

34

The holidays mean spending tons of time with your family. Though some may spend the long evenings rolling their eyes and texting their best friends under the dinner table, it helps when your best friend is right there next to you helping to decorate the tree. She's done it all, seen it all, and just may be more inspirational than Queen Bey.

Here are 11 things that happen when you’re best friends with your Grandma.

1. You feel like your family’s historian

You know the stories behind all of the Christmas ornaments and your great grandparents’ favorite recipes. You could write a book one day, but it’s most rewarding to feel that special connection to the past and the people that made you so awesome.

2. You have your own inside jokes

It’s inevitable since you spend so much time together, not to mention you’re starting to think your sense of humor is genetic.

3. She passed down her passions to you

Whether it’s drawing, cooking, or music, she loves to share her passions with you and you love getting your own expert training in a cool new skill.

4. She knows you better than your bestie does

Your bestie may know all your secrets but she hasn’t seen you in diapers. Your Grandma knows all your embarrassing childhood stories but somehow manages to make them sound adorable.

5. She’s taught you a lot about history because she lived through it

Forget your boring textbook, if you want to know what it was actually like to live through WWII or attend the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge you’ve come to the right place.

6. You have an appreciation for the classics

Movies and music were so much better back in the day, and you know you’d both take Cary Grant over Jim Carrey in a heartbeat.

7. She’s your own personal cheerleader

When you ace that essay or get the lead role she’s one of the first people you call. You know she’ll always encourage you even when you have no idea what you’re doing with your life.

8. Going “over the river and through the woods” is never a chore

You can never understand people who consider visiting their grandparents a chore. Chore? More like a vacation. You can’t wait to kick back on the couch and watch a Betty White flick with her.

9. She gives the best advice

Chances are whatever you’re going through now she’s had plenty of experience with. That coupled with the fact that she always has your best interests at heart means she drops some major truth bombs.

10. You miss each other like crazy when you’re away at school

You miss her words of wisdom and hugs, and college is where you feel like you need them most, but it makes your reunion over break even more special.

11. You can’t wait to be as cool a grandma as she is

You’ll know just how to cheer the little ones up and help them learn their long division, after all you had the best teacher.