11 Things I Miss During This Quarantine

Just like many Americans, I am currently quarantined in my house. While I understand the importance and the social responsibility associated with this choice, it doesn't negate the fact that there are things I miss from the outside world. While I have always been an introvert, not minding some mild social isolation -- even this is getting to me. Here are X things I miss about every day life.

1. Hugs

Thank god I am at my parents' house and they have no problem providing me with a nice hug amid the many tears I have cried during this quarantine, but it really isn't the same. A few weeks ago, some family friends drove by for a nice surprise while maintaining the 6 feet rule. But it killed me not being able to give them a hug. These are people I grew up with, and it felt like I had my heart ripped out of my chest, a feeling so heavy and unbearable.

2. Going to the movies

Am I binge-watching shows on multiple streaming platforms? Yes. Am I watching a movie almost every night? Yes. But I miss the experience of going to the movies with friends and buying an obscene amount of junk food and sneaking it into the theater. I miss watching the movie trailers and leaving the theater talking about what just happened. Are zoom movie fests and good temporary replacement? Yes, but it just isn't the same.

3. Mindlessly walking around Target

Shopping just isn't the same these days. If you are going out to buy necessities, you aren't going to casually stroll around Target. You get in and get out, sometimes donning a facemask and gloves. Now, this may be good for my wallet, but it makes me sad I can't just explore the supercenter.

4. Going out to eat

Although I am no stranger to home cooking, even I am getting a little tired of it. I wish I could just go out to a restaurant and not have to worry about preparing my next meet. I already know the first place I am going when we are safe to roam freely.

5. Going out

While this quarantine isn't limiting my drinking, I miss being able to order an actual drink. My home-made margaritas just don't compare.

6. Seeing my friends

Although I am so happy I can talk, text, snapchat or zoom with my friends, I miss being able to randomly drive over to their place and be in their presence. People feel so far away and unattainable right now. After this, I am never turning down plans to sleep.

7. Working

I miss waking up in the morning feeling like I have somewhere to be. I like keeping myself busy, even though I often drive myself crazy in the process. I like feeling like I am contributing in some way, and this quarantine is seriously limiting any sense of productivity.

8. Going to the gym

Although I do love working out at home and am actively signing in to virtual workouts, I miss going to the gym. There is a competitive atmosphere which I thrive in, something I am not getting during this isolation.

9. Having a place to go

Do I love wearing my pajamas and not having to worry about straightening my curly hair? 100 percent. But do I miss having a place to go and a reason to be productive? You guessed it, 100 percent. I am glad I can take this time to recharge, but I miss feeling like I have someplace to be.

10. A sense of future

I feel like time has stopped. Jobs aren't hiring and things are put on hold. We don't know how long this will last and I wish I could plan for my future. But how can I plan for my future when internships are canceled and schools don't even know if they will reopen for the Fall semester.

11. Normalcy

More than anything, I miss the sense of normalcy. While I am trying to make the most out of being stuck in a house, I miss the ins and outs of my daily life. This quarantine has ensured me to never take anything for granted.

From Your Site Articles