11 Things I Learned When I Went Away To College

Life Lessons Mom and Dad Can't Teach You

131

There are some people who choose to stay home for college and others decide to go away . Although going away to school seems exciting, there are just some things that we can never anticipate. College is definitely an experience within it's self and there are just some things we learn through that experience . This is something mom and dad can't teach you , but you learn on your own throughout the years at school.

1) The microwave is your best friend

Most colleges do not offer full kitchens so your second best option is a microwave. You can cook all different things from roman to frozen meals. It’s kind of amazing the different things you make in a microwave. You can even learn to make eggs in a mug!

2) The library isn't just for books

A lot of college students find their dorm room distracting. The library is a good option to those that need a quiet space to do homework or study. Most people have never even touched a library before college. When they have gone to the library it was for a class project or a personal book to read. The library creates a great space to zone into your schoolwork

.

3) Always look at the price tag

Since you’re away from home majority of the time you pay for everything yourself. Sometimes mom and dad may help out , but not a lot of people are that fortunate. That $50 dress you liked from the mall; maybe think again. College makes you realize that you cant buy everything. Something are just not worth draining your bank account.

4) It's okay to roll out of bed

A lot of college students tend to wake up right before class starts. The days of waking up early are over and every chance you can sleep its necessary to take. So that means sleeping in to the last possible second. College is all about taking every opportunity you can which includes sleeping in

5) Sweat pants are totally acceptable to wear to class

There's no need to dress up for class. Who are you going to impress ? your professor ? I think not. Dressing down is a very acceptable for college students. Especially if you don’t need to dress up why should you. Besides , why wouldn’t you want to be comfy in a classroom for 55+ minutes.

6) The dining hall isn't always the best option for food

Slowly but surely you will realize that most things in the dining hall aren’t always the best quality. Whether it’s buffet style or a set menu, the dining hall will get sickening after a while. As many options as there is , food will never seem appetizing in the dining hall.

7) The bus schedule

Whether you’re taking the bus to the mall or downtown to a party, the bus will become a regular use. Being away at school, on average people use the bus at least once a week. Eventually, you will learn the schedule/ pattern of the bus stops. Or if your horrible at timing, download the bus app or look up the schedule on your phone. It will come in handy when needed.

8) The vending machines come in handy

The dining hall isn’t always open and there’s only so much you can cook in a microwave. The vending machine doesn’t always have the best options, but for a late night snack they come in handy. If you’re lucky they might have your favorite candy.

9) The professors don't always know your name

Depending on the size of your school classes can be anywhere to 20-1000 people. The professor doesn’t always get to know you because of the large number of people. Do not be afraid to introduce yourself to the professor. Who knows when you will need a letter of recommendation in the near future.

10) You're never alone

Having a roommate in college can be annoying, but on the bright side you always have someone with you. Being away from home can be lonely at times. Having your friends super close to you can come in handy. No need to drive anywhere when you can walk across the quad to your friends dorm room.

11) There is no place like home

Home cooked meals and a comfy bed are taken for granted when you go away to college. Going away to school is such an experience, but it makes you appreciate almost everything you had at home. It always you to reflect how you became the person you are today. Besides, it never hurts to come home to mom and dad once and a while.