11 Struggles Of Being Mixed Race

11 Struggles Of Being Mixed Race

In a hundred years, most of us will be "mixed" anyway.

944
11 Struggles Of Being Mixed Race
GofukunoTorii

I am a half-white half-Asian girl living in the Unites States and I’m one of those people who don’t easily get offended. If you want to touch my hair, you can ask me and I’d probably say yes. But even I find some struggles I have to go through because I am mixed difficult and annoying.

1. “What are you?”

Fabulous. That’s what I am.

2. Never fully fitting in with either side.

How people treat me says that I’m not white enough to be white but not Asian enough to be Asian.

3. But we deal with twice the amount of racism and stereotype.

But when one of my races is being criticized, somehow I fit.

4. Your hair confuses you.

How can something be both hard and soft at the same time? One part curly and the rest is straight? I don’t understand my own hair...

5. “Are you going to marry [insert race here] or [insert race here]?”

Am I only allowed to marry one or the other? Honestly, I don’t care about race at all especially when it comes to marriage, I probably got that from my parents.

6. “OMG the [insert race here] in you came out!”

My race does not define my personality or action.

7. “Hola!" [Speaks Spanish.]

Does it just happen to me or do people think you are Hispanic when you don’t look white, black or Asian?

8. “You’re pretty for [insert race here], maybe because you’re only half.”

And I am supposed to take that as a compliment? What?

9. “Mixed girls are the prettiest.”

Thank you but beauty has nothing to do with one’s racial background.

10. People ask you about your family details.

“Wait, so which one of your parents is [insert race here]?” “You have [insert race here] grandparents?” “Is your uncle [insert race here] too?” “What are your cousins?” “Are you related to your siblings?” “Where do your grandparents live?” There is no such thing as a
“perfect family” and some answers to those questions can be very personal. I get that you are curious but knowing my entire family tree won’t do anything for you.

11. “Are you more [insert race here] or [insert race here]?"

Don’t tell me to deny the other half of me, it’s what makes me unique. I am both.