11 Songs With Incredible Lyrics

11 Songs With Incredible Lyrics

Just a little poetry to music.

2165
11 Songs With Incredible Lyrics
Steen Jepsen

mu·sic - vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

Coming from a music junkie, Google's definition just doesn't quite seem to do music justice, but then I'm not quite sure any definition really could. Music is more of a feeling than a definable word. Music has this almost magical power of evoking emotions, connections, reactions and memories and I gotta say that I'm addicted to it. I've been addicted since middle grade when my best friend introduced me to Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Reliant K, Jason Derulo, the Killers, and (my crushes at the time) the Jonas Brothers and Jesse McCartney. It was love at first listen.

Those artists got me through my teen angst and I honestly don't know how I would've gotten through High School without my daily music fix or through certain breakups if I didn't have Kelly Clarkson and Taylor Swift to put words to my feelings. Times and tastes change but there are always those few songs that really speak to you, you know? I want to share a few of my favorite songs with you and a little bit about why I think they're so cool.

1. "Come Thou Fount"

"Here I raise my Ebenezer
Here by Thy great help I've come
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood"

These lyrics are cool to me because in the Bible "raising an Ebenezer" was what the Israelites did when they'd failed God (again) and needed Him (again).

"Come Thou Fount" - Jadon Lavik

2. "Guns For Hands" - Twenty One Pilots

"I know what you think in the morning
When the sun shines on the ground
And shows what you have done
It shows where your mind has gone"

We all have those 2 a.m. thoughts. This song was my introduction to Twenty One Pilots and I've been hooked ever since.

"Guns For Hands" - Twenty One Pilots

3. "You&Me" - Diamond Rings

"Take time just to make time,
'cause I don't want you to leave.
Take time just to make time,
'cause I want you to believe.
That we all have our own purpose
Nothing's wrong and nothing's worthless
Sometimes it just takes a little digging underneath the surface"

In addition to some of the deepest lyrics I've ever heard, this song also has a super addicting tune.

You&Me - Diamond Rings

4. "Semi-Automatic" - Twenty One Pilots

"The horrors of the night melt away
Under the warm glow of survival of the day
Then we move on, my shadow grows taller along with my fears
And my friends shrink smaller as night grows near"

The tune and lyric combo in this song actually cause a chemical rush in my brain.

"Semi-Automatic" - Twenty One Pilots

5. "Oh My Dear" - Tenth Avenue North

"You slowly lifted your head from your hands
You said "I just don't think you'll understand
You'll never look at me that way again
If you knew what I did"

And so your tears fell and melted the snow
You told me secrets nobody had known
But I never loved you more, even though
Now I know what you did"

Relationship. Goals.

"Oh My Dear" - Tenth Avenue North

6. "Diet Soda Society" - The Maine

"Oh the Brain is a funny place
I said,
Between you and me, the psyche and the soma
My mind is on the brink of going supernova
I asked her what she thought of Person vs. Persona
She told me just shut up
Your food is getting colder
Your words are getting older
Just drink your diet soda"

This song makes you actually think for yourself instead of "just drinking your diet soda" and letting society tell you what to think.

"Diet Soda Society" - The Maine

7. "Mile Away" - Capital Lights

"Knowing she relies on me relying on her"

I don't really know where this song came from or where it's gone but I will listen to it until the day I die.

"Mile Away" - Capital Lights

8. "Oh Ms Believer" - Twenty One Pilots

"Oh, Miss Believer, my pretty sleeper
Your twisted mind is like snow on the road
Your shaking shoulders prove that it's colder
Inside your head than the winter of dead

I will tell you I love you
But the muffs on your ears will cater your fears
My nose and feet are running as we start
To travel through snow
Together we go"

For any girl who's struggled with any sort of mental disorder, this song is like music to her ears.

"Oh Ms Believer" - Twenty One Pilots

9. "Whisper" - Burn the Ballroom

"So give me your fire, give me your fear, give me your faith when love gives you tears
Give me your heart, give me your fate, give me your hand when love gives you hate
Give me your prayers up on your feet and I'll give you a show,
It helps fill the seats
So give me your sins
Give me your lies
But whisper your love,
And I'll whisper mine"

This song has a very powerful message (set to tasteful metal rock) against false religion and how un-believing priests exploit religion to put on a show of hope just to make people feel good about themselves without delivering real hope.

"Whisper" - Burn the Ballroom

10. Reckless Serenade - Arctic Monkeys

"I've been trying to figure out exactly what it is I need
Call up to listen to the voice of reason
And got the answering machine
The type of kisses
Where teeth collide
When she laughs the heavens hum a stun gun lullaby"

Men, if you want to flatter your lovely and introspective lady, this is the perfect song.

"Reckless Serenade" - Arctic Monkeys

11. If You Wanna Be Happy - Jimmy Soul

"If you wanna be happy
For the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife,
So from my personal point of view,
Get an ugly girl to marry you."

This song will always make me laugh!

"If You Wanna Be Happy" - Jimmy Soul