11 Reasons Why Dogs Are A Girl's Best Friend

Anyone who says diamonds are a girl's best friend never had a dog...

23

This Fourth of July wasn’t all fireworks and fun for me. My 10-year-old Cockapoo, Buddy, went into sudden acute renal failure. In human language, his kidneys could no longer filter out the toxins in his blood. On Sunday night, the vet called us saying they didn’t think he’d make it through the night. I cannot remember the last time I cried so hard.

My dad and I ended up driving through the night to the University of Pennsylvania animal hospital so that Buddy could receive much-needed dialysis (it is only performed at a few select animal hospitals in the U.S.). My dad focused on the road and I focused on my boy. He was lying on my lap; I had one hand on his stomach monitoring his breathing and the other on the syringe of valium they gave us in case he started to seize again. He’s still undergoing procedures, and I am nervously waiting by the phone for updates. Some may think I’m crazy for going to such extremes, but it’s because he’s my best friend, and here’s why:

1. He is the most loving and loyal creature on this planet.

Whether I leave him for an hour or for six months, he is equally insanely excited to see me upon my return. Whether I’m yelling at him for chewing toilet paper or giving him a treat, he loves me just the same. His love for me is unconditional and for that reason, so is mine for him.

2. He acts as my brother, my boyfriend, my security guard and my best friend all in one.

We got Buddy when I was 11 years old. Since then he has become a member of the family. From diapers (wee-wee pads) to obedience school (which he barely passed) to spinal surgery and now this, we’ve been through it all together. He’s seen me at the best of times and the worst, and has never left my side. And for that, I’ll never leave his.

3. He is a fighter.

We just need to give him the right coach and I know he’ll pull through. He’s beaten the odds too many times to give up on him now. He may not look like the Pit bull fighter you have in mind, but underneath that soft, furry, white exterior he has the biggest, strongest heart of anybody I know.

4. He is happy.

His tail wags from pretty much anything. Even on Sunday night when they were ready to put him down, we would say his name and he would wag his tail. We would give him kisses and he would wag his tail. We would walk in the room and he would be happy.

5. He cries when I cry.

He knows when something is wrong. He can sense it, and when he does, he takes it upon himself to make it better. Whether it is by nuzzling up close to me, or by bringing me his ball (because clearly playing with a ball makes us all feel better in his mind) he tries to fix it.

6. He cuddles.

Buddy is by far the best sleeping partner in the world. He is soft and cuddly and doesn’t mind my constant rolling around. When I get up in the middle of the night to get a drink, he repositions himself in my spot, keeping it nice and warm. Granted, it’s not my first choice to have his butt on my pillow, but he just wants to be closer to me – how can I blame him for that?

7. He makes a friend out of everyone he meets.

Somehow, Buddy makes everyone fall in love with him. Even my dad, who reluctantly got Buddy in the first place, has fallen in love with him. Buddy is the son he never had, tossing plush footballs in the yard, going for runs and tiring each other out so Buddy can then come cuddle with me.

8. I cannot imagine a life without him.

I am moving into my first apartment in a month, and Buddy is supposed to come live with me. I put his name on the paperwork, picked out a bed for him (not that he’ll be sleeping anywhere but my bed realistically) and mapped out all the dog parks we would venture to. He is finally going to be mine and I will give him the greatest life in the world.

9. He doesn’t care…

How I look, how I feel, how I smell… No matter what he loves me the same. With people you always worry about being judged or being loved less for not being perfect. With Buddy, it doesn’t matter. Maybe he judges me for not giving him treats more, but that’s a judgment I can live with.

10. Our interests are very aligned.

I love sleep. He loves sleep. I love food. He loves food. I love runs. He loves runs. And he always lets me choose the movie…

11. I’d give up a million diamonds before I’d give up my dog.