11 Lessons My Grandmother Taught Me

11 Lessons My Grandmother Taught Me

There is nothing like the love of a grandparent

191
11 Lessons My Grandmother Taught Me

My Mom-mom, is my best friend. For those of you who have never heard "mom-mom" that is what some people call their grandmothers. While me calling mine a Mom-mom my be different we all can learn a lot from our grandparents. My Mom-mom has always been invested in my life, loving me and teaching me things always. So here are 12 things my amazing grandmother has taught me, I hope you can learn something too, but i at least hope it makes you think of your grandparents.

1. There are no strangers at Walmart.

She will talk to anyone in Walmart: infants, children, young adults, or old people, She will also talk about anything with them. " What cute shoes!", "This can of corn used to be 35 cents.".While this may make every Walmart trip longer its her way of loving on people. Talking to a stranger may be strange but you might just make their day.

2. All life is precious, no matter how small.

She saves any animal she can: doves, sparrows, turtles, or raccoons. If a life can be saved its worth saving. Last year she saved a dove and syringe fed it till it could eat on its own. Her love of life has been passed down throughout the family. I once saved a chicken that fell of a chicken truck. Life is precious and she knows it.

3. A stitch in time saves nine.

This advice applies to sewing and generally all problems. Fixing a small problem is always easier than trying to patch it once its grown and worsened. Never procrastinate when it comes to fixing something. Better to mend a friendship than lose it.

4. Necessity is the mother of invention.

She never lets not have a much keep her from giving a lot. She has always been able to transform almost nothing in to a family meal, a wonderful gift, or a new piece of clothing. She has in-grained in me the importance of being crafty and resourceful.

5. Allow you art to be your release.

She has written poetry her entire adult life. She has documented her battle with cancer, the loss of her husband, and her love of the sweet birds in her garden. She has read or sang me her poetry since i was a baby. Now I paint and write poetry to let out my feelings,

6. You never grow out of laughing till you cry.

It does not always take a lot for her to laugh. If something strikes her funny shes dying laughing for at least ten minutes. I hope I never stopping laughing till I cry. She has always shown me to enjoy life.

7. Never miss a great sale.

Tax-free week, Black Friday, after Christmas sales shes there. If its a good deal go for it! This sale mentality has taught me the ways of frugality.

8.Never let summer end without getting crabs at least once

Growing up in Maryland fresh seafood is a must. Blue Crabs being the king of Maryland seafood. Even if money is tight and you need to save for a few weeks having Old Bay smothered blue crabs is a must! I will never go back to school with out having crabs!

9.Stay in touch with nature.

There are corn fields galore in my hometown. My Mom-mom is always in tune to the health of the corn. Beaming when the field is lush and green and saddened by the twisted scorched stalks after a dry spell. She may have never been a farmer but she sure does care about our areas corn. Appreciating the beauty around you is not only good for your psyche but it keeps you in tune with what makes your home, home.

10. Change isn't always going to be easy but its important.

Despite preferring things to not change she has always shown that change can bring some of the most beautiful memories. Sometimes pain is associated with change in life but it allows beautiful memories and relationships."One reason people resist change is because they focus on what they have to give up, instead of what they have to gain." - Rick Godwin. My grandmother daily teaches me about change even if she wants it all to stay the same.

11. You can never spend to much time with your Grandparents.

They have endless years of experience and lessons you can learn from. I got to spend my early year wrapped in my Mom-mom's love. Sweet songs, bible stories, and lots of crafts filled our days. I caught her heart when I was born, and she's always had mine.