11 Perks Of Coming Home After College

11 Perks Of Coming Home After College

It's good to be back.

38
11 Perks Of Coming Home After College
Lindsay Haley

For nine months, we college students have sacrificed the many luxuries of home and lived in little dorm rooms, essentially roughing it. That's why coming home for three months in the summer is probably the best feeling. Everything we had to live without or leave behind is back is now back in our lives. Here are some of the benefits we receive when we come back home.

1. No Shower Shoes

The community bathrooms are probably the worst and grossest parts of dorm life. Being able to step into a shower barefoot is probably one of the most freeing feelings for returning college students.

2. Your Own Room

While you may have loved having a nine-month sleepover with your roommate, getting your own room again also gives a big sense of freedom. You have privacy and your own space again.

3. You reunite with your bed

In addition to your room, you probably missed your own bed more than anything else. Jumping into your bed after months of sleeping on a sleep-away camp cot is also quite satisfying.

4. You reunite with your car

It is common that freshmen or older students that don't bring their car to school don't have a car on campus. When you come home, you get to drive yourself everywhere instead of having to go on those campus buses or make those mile-long journeys on foot.

5. Home-cooked Meals

There's nothing quite like a hot dinner cooked by mom. After months of eating very questionable meals, we get to experience what it's like to eat real food (considering we probably forgot what that tasted like).

6. More Money

Unlike at school, most students have jobs or more opportunities to make money at home. They also have a little resource known as "mom and dad" who don't mind slipping them a few bucks if they are really desperate.

7. TV

Some students do have TVs at school, but many don't or just don't have time to watch. Most students watch shows on Netflix on a tiny computer screen. Coming home means getting full access to a TV that is most likely much larger than your computer.

8. Pets

It's nice to see your family again, but there's no better reunion than a college student and their pet(s). The truth is you probably missed your dog, cat, or goldfish more than anyone else.

9. Couches

Something else you probably had to live without at school (considering they would have taken up your entire room). Coming home means getting to lounge on couches again instead of always having to sit on your bed.

10. Your Best Friends

Home is where some of your best friends are. Coming homes means getting to spend every waking moment with them and enjoying your summer breaks together.

11. You're Just Happier

There really is no place like home. College is great and we have had lots of fun, but we can now be comfortable in our own homes again and refuel. No place will ever make you quite as happy as home does, so cherish the three months you have there.