11 Things Bartenders Want You To Know

11 Things Bartenders Want You To Know

Part of our job is to be great listeners but now it's your turn to listen to our voices as bartenders!

144
11 Things Bartenders Want You To Know

Being a bartender has its pros and cons. While making drinks, meeting people, hearing about them and watching them having a wonderful time can be enjoyable, dealing with rude customers and being unappreciated can be tiring.

Part of our job is to be great listeners but our voices as bartenders don't get heard often. These are some facts and our thoughts we wish our customers would know!

1. Don’t whistle, snap your fingers or yell.

We are humans, not dogs. Make eye contact with us and we’ll come to you.

2. If it is a busy night, please have your order ready when we come to you.

Don’t just ask us "what’s good?" We have no idea what you think is good. Please, at least, tell us what kind of drink you’re looking for. If you let us know that you want something fruity, something with rum or something not too sweet, then we can help you give suggestions!

3. We really appreciate tips!

Non-alcoholic beverages are free at some bars and pubs. However, if you're going to ask for a Shirley temple, extra Shirley, with little bit of orange juice, with a cherry garnish, in a bigger cup, complain that I put too much ice, take all the free bar food that we prepared, make a mess and walk away, please don't forget to tip.

We don't just make your drinks but we also keep the place clean and will do our best for you to have a nice night by being nice and polite, so show us your appreciation!

4. No ice or less ice doesn’t mean more alcohol.

We are trained and can pour exactly a shot without measuring.

5. Never ask us for a discount or free drinks even if I know you.

We wish we could give you discounts and free drinks but we are just bartenders and don’t make the rules.

6. If you ever get a discount or free drinks, don't brag about it to other customers or our coworkers.

If you do it, you will never get another discount or a free drink after that!

7. Don't expect us to know your name.

You can make our lives so much easier just by telling us your name when you want to close your tab! If you want us to remember your name, come to the bar when it isn't busy and talk to us.

8. Respect the last call.

As soon as we finish serving the last person after the last call, we start cleaning the bar and if you come after that, we have to clean it up all over!

9. Don't hit on us especially on busy nights.

First of all, I don't understand why some people hit on the busiest and most sober person in the room. We are nice to you because it's our job and we want our customers to have a great time, NOT because we want you.

10. "What’s on tap?"

Umm, it’s literally right in front of you.

11. We actually enjoy knowing about you!

We wouldn't have become a bartender if we didn't like to socialize. Feel free to tell us about your day when the bar is not busy. Also, we hate to leave in the middle of a conversation but please forgive us if we do. We promise we will be right back!