10 Ways UVA Has Changed Since My First Year

These changes may revolve around late-night food options, but all are significant to some degree.

154
news.virginia.edu

As my third year has begun, I've been reflecting on my newly minted upperclassmen status in many ways. One of those ways has been generating nostalgia for the days of yore when I lived a carefree life in Old Dorms and strolled five minutes to my dining hall of choice whenever I wanted food. First years, though the university as a whole has remained fairly constant in structure over the past few years, there are still a few notable differences between the UVA that stands today versus the UVa I encountered on my first day of classes in August of 2015.

1. The once-majestic Castle has now closed and succumbed to an inevitably inferior replacement

I've already written an entire article about how I am less-than-pleased with the vision for the new establishment that no one asked to replace the Castle, so I won't reiterate that here. But seeing the Castle go is seeing an integral part of my first year social experience disappear into the gravel, and I hope that future first years in Old Dorms have a place as convenient and casual as the Castle to bond with new friends.

2. The Rotunda reopened from a two-year renovation, and everyone can enjoy it now

I remember being so excited when the Rotunda scaffolding came off right before Lighting of the Lawn during my first year, and even more excited when the construction finally finished right before I left for the summer. Though I've spent very little time studying in the Rotunda since it reopened, I give a little sigh of contentment every time I get to sing on the steps or walk past it in all its glory.

3. Late-night cookie places have come and gone on the Corner, with Red Eye Cookies the newest addition to the pack

Every time I've tried to go here, it's been closed, which is why I usually stick with Insomnia Cookies (an addition to the Corner during my first year) when I'm out and want a late night sweet treat. Perhaps one day Red Eye will finally allow me to expand my cookie horizons, but I'm perfectly happy maintaining my loyalty as an Insomniac for now.

4. Runk was renovated this year, further establishing it as the dining hall that gets all of the money

After remarking that Newcomb's food seems even less inspired this year than in past years, my friend came up with a theory that the University is just pouring its entire budget for dining into making Runk as nice as possible, leaving Newcomb and Ohill to suffer in quality. Newcomb does not even appear to have a pasta station anymore, which is severely disappointing to a third year who still has a meal plan with the hopes that the food will be decent enough to keep me coming back. Here's wishing that one day, UVa will realize that no one goes to Runk during the day on weekdays and that Newcomb needs a pasta station more than Runk needs a brick-oven pizza station.

5. 1515 opened on the Corner, featuring study spots, rehearsal spaces, and a well-equipped game room in the basement

I admit, when I heard about the millions of dollars that were supposedly poured into the 1515 project, I was skeptical about the final results. But I have to say, 1515 is actually really nice and very convenient for meeting up with friends, colleagues, or a study group. It's nice to have a space on the Corner for students to safely have fun and be productive, and also buy a cupcake from Crumbs to satisfy their sweet tooth.

6. Crossroads replaced a delicious sandwich station with a below-average burrito station, for some reason

I haven't had much experience with Burrito Theory, as I've only once had a burrito from there, but I do know that I felt like throwing up after I ate it. Never again, I said, never again. I'll just stay here wishing that Croads brings back that delicious chicken caesar wrap that made my nights several times during first year.

7. Clem 2, once a favorite spot for "collaborative studying," has tragically been closed for construction for the past year

I'm genuinely very curious to see how the new "advising center" that required Clem 2 to be closed for "the entire 2016-2017 academic year" will turn out. All it has meant so far is that Clem 3 and Clem 4 have become way more crowded during weekdays, often too loud for me to really concentrate on doing work. There's already the Career Center office hours in Newcomb and 1515 to educate me on my career choices, but I suppose I should give whatever opens in Clem a chance to help me out before I denounce it as irrelevant.

8. President Teresa Sullivan has announced that she's stepping down as UVa president after this year

Though T Sully is all I've known as UVa president since I've been here, it will be interesting to see what new type of leadership a new president will bring. I'm of the opinion that in these dramatic political times, the university needs someone with a fierce, strong-willed devotion to moral excellence at UVa and in the surrounding Charlottesville area, and I hope that the selection process for a new president prioritizes something similar to these ideals.

9. Former UVa golden boy Malcolm Brogdon graduated and became the NBA Rookie of the Year for the Milwaukee Bucks

I was super excited when I heard this news over the summer, and having seen Brogden play several times during my first year, this honor could not have been bestowed on a more well-rounded player. He strengthened UVa's offense and defense immeasurably, leading them to the Elite Eight, and I think the team's offence felt his absence last year in a big way. Perhaps Brogdon will get the chance to dunk on LeBron again this upcoming NBA season, but I just hope he goes on to represent the university well in the NBA and enjoys significant, consistent success.

10. UVA has a stronger air of political activism and engagement than when I first arrived

From the day I got here, I knew that UVa students were passionate, engaged individuals, but it took until the tumultuous 2016 election cycle for there to really become a sense of political urgency around Grounds. I don't remember nearly as many random lectures about diversity, racism, and tolerance happening around Grounds my first year as there were last year and seem to be scheduled for this year.

Personally, I think these messages are worth reiterating and are relevant to everyone's ears. People often have to be told a point several times before it truly hits home, and there can never be too much education about celebrating the differences among us. In the wake of the recent national spotlight on tragedy in Charlottesville, I anticipate that this year will feature one of the most tight-knit, motivated group of UVa students in recent memory. Change can be trivial, irritating, or disappointing, but it can also be uplifting and inspiring, and UVa is certainly well-equipped for the latter.