10 Productive Ways To Heal After A Breakup

10 Productive Ways To Heal After A Breakup When All You Want To Do Is Sleep And Eat Ice Cream

Keep your head up, it will get better in time.

3235

I have definitely had my fair share of breakups. I broke up with my high school sweetheart my second semester of college (he was cheating on me), I had a breakup with another guy I thought I was going to marry, and others in between. Regardless of whether you're the one doing the dumping or being dumped, breakups can HURT.

Here are ten ways to cope with a breakup when it's hitting you hard.

1. Write it out

Writing out what I feel after a breakup is probably the No. 1 way I would cope. I oftentimes kept a journal and wrote down how I felt. If it's your thing, try writing a letter to your ex and then burn it (safely). I like doing this because it feels like I'm "releasing" that energy into the world and out of my life. Another way that has helped me in the past with breakups is writing here on Odyssey!

2. Exercise

Exercise is proven to be a natural mood booster! Go for a run, hike, or to the gym to let it all out! You'll be happier, I promise.

3. Listen to music

MUSIC HEALS. I swear by that. This is also one of the ways I would most commonly use to cope with a breakup! Literally my Spotify is filled with "sad boy hours part [insert number]" because I'd make so many playlists to cry it out to. I compiled a list of my top 15 breakup songs to cry to, which you can check out here!

4. Delete. Those. Pictures.

JUST DO IT. DELETE THEM. Let those pictures of you and your ex be part of your past. I know it's hard to do, but once you do it you will feel a million times better! This includes your camera roll, laptop, social media, etc.

5. Talk it out

Sometimes some breakups are worse than others and you just need to talk it out. When I had my breakup with a guy I dated for two years, I was in so much pain from the heartbreak that I had decided to check myself into therapy. I was scared at first, but by the last day of my sessions, I felt free. That freedom was worth it. Even if you don't see a professional, talking it out with a friend or family member can do the trick too.

6. Spend time with friends & family

Go out and have a girl's night. Go have a family dinner or game night. Just hang out with the people that care about you and love you. They will take care of you and help you see the good that is still in your life.

7. Pick up a new hobby

Picking up a new hobby not only builds you as a person, but it will help you with that breakup. Learn to cook, learn an instrument, learn how to paint or draw. The hobbies you can pick up are endless.

8. Go for a drive

If you have your license and a car, go for a drive! I swear, it can help. Put some music on loud, roll the windows down, and drive around. Find a place you like to drive to or just go anywhere. Just be safe!

9. Watch a movie or binge-watch a TV show

I vividly remember after a breakup years ago I watched "The Fault In Our Stars" and it made me sad, but it helped. Although, I recommend watching a comedy of some sort. Try a TV show too!

10. Bake yourself a treat

Listen, sometimes you just have to treat yourself. Bake some brownies or cookies and enjoy them!

Follow Swoon on Instagram.