10 Ways To De-Stress During The Holidays

It isn't all Christmas cheer all of the time.

4
Arizona Foothills Magazine

Believe it or not, the holidays aren’t easy for everybody. While the holiday season brings joy to some, it brings nothing but stress to others. So if you’re on the opposite side of the spectrum, and you’ve found yourself trying to get through the season instead of enjoying it, here’s a few things you might want to try.

1. Stay organized.

Make lists, draw a map, create a pinboard, buy a planner -- do whatever the hell it is that you have to do in order to keep everything you have to do in one organized area. I promise you a weight will be lifted off your shoulders.

2. Keep track of your spending.

Though it won’t ease the aching in your wallet, it’s easier to come to peace with your ever dissipating savings account when you know how much you’re spending on what.

3. Plan ahead and utilize your time.

Use your time wisely. Set specific time frames for homework, shopping, baking, wrapping, seeing old friends, visiting relatives or whatever else. You’ll find that things will get done quicker when everything has it's own time slot.

4. Don't put pressure on yourself.

The never ending reminders like Christmas ads and people constantly sharing their holiday highlights on every social media platform imaginable makes it easy to build up particular expectations. Instead of thinking of everything that you don’t have, practice gratitude for what you do.

5. Take a step back.

It's normal for a season full of nothing but family gatherings and spending money to leave you feeling overwhelmed and anxious. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, remember this is the season of giving thanks. Try and keep it all into perspective.

6. Stay healthy.

Nothing is worse than being stressed out and sick. Take your vitamins, drink water and exercise in your free time. It will help more than you realize.

7. Indulge in all of the comfy things.

Please, take advantage of all the sweaters, pillows, candles, teas and copious amount of comfy things that I’m willing to bet are lying around your house somewhere. Why? Because comfy things make everything better.

8. Buy yourself a little something.

Who says you can't buy yourself a Christmas present?

9. Take advantage of the holiday perks.

Massive dinners, an over-abundance of cookies and sweets and holiday drinks are all fair game. Diets should not apply.

10. Get spoiled.

Sleep late, get a manicure, eat some cookie dough, binge watch "Gilmore Girls," put a face mask on and own your anxiousness.