10 Ways To Get Rid Of Your "Fake" Friends In The New Year As Told By Drake

"I got fake people showin' fake love to me..."

2512
Casey King

We all have New Year's resolutions. Some people stick with the cliche, "work out more" schpeel. Others vow to moderate their time on social media or spend less at the mall. After analyzing how 2016 was for me, I've realized that my New Year's resolution for 2017 should be something unique. It should an obstacle that I struggle with every year but am now willing to overcome. The obstacle I chose for this year focuses on the "fake" people in my life. Sometimes people fail to realize those "fake" friends that never answer your calls when you need them, accept favors but don't return them, or only show up when you're surrounded by a fun crowd. We all have those kinds of people in our lives. But, why? Why waste the energy on the people who are never there for you? Why not make the time to polish the friendships you have with those who not only matter to you but prove that you matter to them?

With only a few weeks into the new year, analyze that friend list of yours. Make sure that you're surrounded by the people that will make your year worthwhile. If you need help, here are 10 ways to get rid of those "fake" friends wasting your precious time. And to help you out, I used depictions of the attractive and beloved rap icon, Drake! It's obvious that by his plethora of relatable song lyrics, he knows what we're all going through.

1.) Look through your phone. If they never respond, or barely "hit you up" then it's time to reevaluate that friendship.

2.) Think about the last time you fought. If the both of you are constantly fighting, it's unhealthy, so maybe it's time to "bounce."

3.) Know when they're not listening to you. If they start ignoring your problems or pretending to care when they don't, give them that metaphorical boot!

4.) Stop letting them give you attitude. If they keep "snapping at you" and taking their own personal anger out on you then it's time to understand that you don't need that in your life. Either talk it out or tell them you're done with their unnecessary amounts of sass.

5.) Make sure you can trust them. Relationships thrive on trust. If they can't keep a secret or be there to "catch you if you fall," what is the point of even having them around?

6.) See if you're completely comfortable around them. If you're continuously hiding your weird quirks or unique opinions then you are not completely comfortable around them. If you can't be your true self and open up, then spending time with them is not definitely worth it. You should be able to dance like no one is watching in front of them and they should join you!

7.) Make sure that they don't solely laugh at you but also with you. If they don't understand your sense of humor or make jokes that you can work with then what is the fun in that? Spend most of your time with the people who keep you laughing, it's more fun that way.

8.) Avoid the selfishness. If they consistently put their needs above your own then they don't know what it means to be a good friend. Choose people that care for you just as much as you care for them.

9. Pick people you can send ugly selfies to. This one may sound dumb and unimportant but believe me, it's crucial. If they don't like you at your worst then they don't deserve you at your best!

10. Choose the supportive ones. Last but not least, pick the people who will "have your back no matter what." Life is already difficult, the last thing you need is a person who is holding you back. Spend time with the people who believe in your hopes and dreams and are always there to provide their support no matter what.

Start your new year off right and cleanse your life from the toxic people bringing you down. Spend time with the friends that mean so much to you that you could even consider them family. Then follow Drake's example and "keep the family close."