10 Ways To Take Care Of Yourself In 10 Minutes

You're worth it.
191

It can be incredibly hard for some people to actively do the things they need to to take care of themselves. Whether it the ‘fun’ self-care you see on the internet, from bubble baths to face-masks, or the less fun self-care like dentist visits and flu shots.

Here are ten ways to take care of yourself in 10 minutes:

1. Find the quiet

It’s no secret, life can be loud. Finding just ten minutes to remove yourself from the noise, can allow your brain to ‘reset’.

2. Meditate

Okay, I can imagine the eye rolls here, but just try it. Giving yourself ten minutes (or even just five) to try meditation and see if it is worth it for you. It may not be.

3. Power nap

Okay, ten minutes may feel like no time at all, but when you’re strapped for sleep, ten minutes is still worth it. Even just a ten-minute nap can improve cognitive performance. So even if it feels counterintuitive to productivity to take ten minutes to nap, go ahead and try it.

4. Clean up

It may not be the super enticing and relaxing suggestion, but taking ten minutes to clean up your workspace or clean the kitchen is important. The cliche of ‘messy workspace, messy mind’ may not be a complete truth, but if the desk in front of you is chaotic there’s a good chance it could be affecting you.

5. Get up and move

If you have a desk job or spend the majority of your days sitting, getting up and moving can energize you and gets your blood flowing. Whether it’s a quick ten-minute walk outside, ten minutes of sprints, or ten minutes of stretching, moving can give you a second wind.

6. Call to make that appointment.

A lot of us avoid that yearly physical, avoid going to the dentist, going to the doctor, getting that flu shot. Take ten minutes to just sit down, take a look at the openings on your calendar, and call to make the appointment you're putting off. It’s not fun, but it’s important.

7. Change your bedsheets

Okay, this one may seem silly to you, but change your sheets. Do you remember the last time you switched out your sheets and pillowcases? Think of how nice it feels to get into freshly washed, good smelling sheets at night.

8. Do the dishes

Another ‘boring’ piece of self-care, but one that is so rewarding once it’s done. I find that having stacks of dirty dishes and pots and pans that need to be washed is anxiety provoking. Every time I walk by to see the dishes that just sit there waiting for, I get anxious. And, if you don’t just bite the bullet and do it, the stack grows. Wash them now before the pile gets larger.

9. Grab a snack

It’s really easy to be rushing about your day, trying to get everything done and forget to listen and pay attention to your hunger and fullness cues. Go grab a snack, whatever it is that you’re craving, and sit and enjoy it. Really immerse yourself in the moment, pay attention to the experience with all your senses. What does it feel like? Smell like? Look like? Taste like?

10. Face mask time

Sometimes, you need ten minutes to relax. Popping on a face mask has so many benefits, from the skin to the brain. Take ten minutes to put on a face mask, put down your phone, and just relax. Life this day and age is all about go-go-go and productivity, so allow yourself ten minutes of slowness.

Do you actively practice self-care? How? If not, try anything on this list (or anything you feel inspired to do). Have a great self-care tip, not on the list? Comment it below to share the love.