10 Visual Novel Hybrid Games Every Bookworm Should Play

Is a visual novel a game, a story, or both?

1267
reddit/r/Games

The evolution of visual novel style games is moving forth at breakneck speed. From simple text boxes placed over a sprite on a static background, to allowing greater environmental interactions and even upgrading graphics to the world of 3D, the box defining the genre is growing increasingly more blurred. This is a list celebrating the diversity of the hybrid visual novels that are a result of the technological advancements seen throughout the past two decades.

Visual novels are, traditionally, more text than game. Rather than playing through, the most you could do was click to advance the text, and on occasion, you'd be prompted with choices that would change some dialogue, and in some cases, change the ending you'd reach, much like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novel. If you're into books, but don't think yourself to be much of a gamer, consider this list a suggestion from one bookworm to all bookworms to consider giving these interactive stories a shot!

The games below are in no particular order.

1. Professor Layton (Nintendo DS & 3DS)

"A true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved." - Hershel Layton

Are you a fan of puzzles? Do you like top hat-toting gentlemen with British accents? Fancy games full of colorful characters, heavily stylized art, and wacky mysteries? Well then, this is the series for you! As of this list's publication, this series has six games out and two due for a 2017 release. The stories are captivating, the puzzles fit into the story very neatly, and the soundtracks that lend greatly to each character's personality and to each setting's ambiance are all perks of the series. (Take a gander here!)

2. Ghost Trick (Nintendo DS, iOS)

"Ha ha! I died again!" - Lynne

Looking for a shorter story that concludes in a single play-through with no sequels or loose ends to tie up? Is your puzzle thirst still not satisfied? Take Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for a spin! This game makes great use of a vivid color scheme to really make the art and the kooky characters stand out, and its music makes for a great study playlist. In this story, the main character is given twenty-four hours to figure out who they are and why they've died. Through some creative ghost shenanigans, you travel back in time to "poltergeist" your way around settings to prevent many, many untimely deaths from happening. (Watch the trailer here!)

3. Ace Attorney (Nintendo GBA, Wii, DS & 3DS, iOS, Android, PC)

"Difficult-looking legal books stand in a formidable row. They mock me. I tried reading one, and it made my head hurt. When I closed it, it slipped out of my hand. Then my foot hurt too." - Phoenix Wright

What do you get when you mix a fictional courtroom setting, low-key superpowers, quirky witnesses, and an uncanny penchant for getting involved in murder cases? One of the more classic titles one thinks of when it comes to naming visual novels is this highly-acclaimed series! This long-standing series is a powerhouse in the genre, and as of this list's publication, has six main-story games, four spin-off titles, three stage musicals, cameos in two other games, an anime, and a movie! For puns galore, great long-term character development, a good balance between silly and serious, and a very creative fan base, give the Ace Attorney series a shot! (See a trailer here.)

4. Hotel Dusk (Nintendo DS)

"Guess so. Crimes and criminals still get my blood going. You don't just walk away. No one does." - Kyle Hyde.

For a very noir detective story, take the plunge into the Hotel Dusk games! Play as a washed up cynical ex-cop with a sharp tongue and a penchant for running into odd characters. This is probably one of the games on the list closer to a traditional visual novel, for the story is probably around 80% of the game, with the remaining 20% being puzzle-solving. The dialogue in this game makes it well worth exploring every possible opportunity to get the character to speak his mind. (Catch the trailer here.)

5. DanganRonpa (PSP, Vita, PS4, iOS, Android, PC)

"Don't give up hope now!" - Makoto Naegi

Fifteen students, a locked down campus, and a blood-thirsty toy bear. The result is a great blend of elements that make up a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat, hoping that your favorite kids don't meet an early demise. If you enjoy Ace Attorney, it's quite likely that you'll take a liking to this series as well. Bear in mind that this game is not for those with a weak stomach! (Take a look at the trailer!)

6. Trauma Center (Nintendo DS & Wii)

"The patient's life is in your hands!" - Pre-OP loading screen (Trauma Team)

For all my fellow fans of medical dramas, I give you, the Trauma Center series! The actual game play segments occur more frequently in these games, and they require more skill. However, the difficulty adjustments enable players to choose whether they'd rather take it easy to better enjoy the story, or if living fast and dying hard is more up their alley. Take down the bio-terrorists and their aptly-named viruses! (See two trailers here and here.)

7. Corpse Party (PC, PSP, Vita, iOS, Nintendo 3DS)

"Fate still had one more sick twist in store for us." - Satoshi Mochida

What about actual scary games? If you're looking for something much darker than DanganRonpa and the Trauma games, look no further! Corpse Party is almost equal parts game-play and reading, but if you're a fan of horror stories, you've got to give these games a spin. Hop in for the supernatural, the long-haired vengeful spirits, and the gore-fest, and stay because you can't leave the weird dimension you've accidentally jumped into! It's truly fascinating to see just how many ways one can die at the hands of angry ghost kids. This series is on a whole other level of dark and bloody, so proceed at your own risk! (Trailer here.)

8. Zero Escape (Nintendo DS & 3DS, Vita, PS4, iOS, PC)

"Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless, and finding happiness even in a world that hates it." - Tenmyouji

Time to double back and hit a game with more text than puzzles to solve! Ever heard of an escape room? Want to visit one without leaving the comfort of your home? Play this series! This is another big name in the world of visual novels, and for good reason. It's probably one of the best at showing you how your decisions ultimately impact what ending you receive. Each of the games in this trilogy have multiple endings, but only one of them is the true end. To reach it, however, you have to play to finish each and every other of the game's routes first to unlock vital information to get the hard-earned finale! For a game with excellent prose and the subtle scent of death lurking around each corner, try this trio out! (Watch the trailer here.)

9. Fire Emblem Awakening & Fates (Nintendo 3DS)

"Hope will never die!" - Lucina

And now it's time for something totally different! A set of games that further blurs the definition of visual novels but still fits the bill somewhat; this game of tactical warfare is a great read. You get to build relationships to marry characters and unlock their time-traveling offspring, take down enemies of the state, and watch cool cut-scenes! If you're looking for light reading with what has been called "chess for anime fans", try these games on for size. (Catch the trailer here.)

10. Life Is Strange (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

"Your life is still yours to live." - Max Caulfield

There's been many discussions about how classify this game. It's an episodic adventure game. It's an interactive movie. It's a revolutionary visual novel. It's a hybrid. Regardless of its official categorization, it's clear that this game is a nod to the visual novel genre as a whole. The plot is the main focus of this game, and you as the main character make choices that affect what happens in future episodes of the game, as you would in a traditional visual novel. Whatever it is, it's an experience that anyone who loves a good story won't want to pass up reading. (See the trailer here.)

Happy reading!