10 Things All Twins Are Tired Of Hearing

Sorry but no, I cannot read her mind.

1250
Elizabeth Thompson

To some we are freaks of nature, to others we are incredible, but to all our situation is less than normal. Twins are a subject of fascination to scientists and laymen alike, but to me, being an identical twin means that I just have a best friend for life who just happens to look a lot like me.

For me, being a twin is the norm. I have never not been a twin. I am used to responding to my sister's name, awkwardly explaining that no, I wasn't ignoring you, there's just someone else who happens to look just like me. I am also used to hearing the same things over and over -- whether they be blanket statements about twins or questions, let me assure you it's something I have 100% heard before.

Any twin can relate to these 10 things we hear all the time.

1. "Wow. You two are literally the same person! I am never going to be able to tell you apart."

Well actually, we're not the same person, we're actually very different people with different styles, hopes and dreams, and it's basic human decency to try to learn and call us by our names. I understand it can be hard, but it's not rocket science -- you just have to put a little effort in.

2. Being called by your last name only

Come on y'all, you are not being subtle at all.

3. "So, which one's the evil one?"

I don't even know where to start with this question. Like... what? Where did you get this idea from? Why does it make sense to you to ask it? We're both just normal people who have their on and off days.

4. "Double Trouble"

Another tired stereotypical phrase that was funny maybe the first time I heard it. 1000 times later... not so much.

5. "If I punch you, will she feel it?"

How about I punch you instead? Of course not.

6. "Can you read her mind?"

Don't we all wish it were that easy? I can tell you right now, my grades would have been stellar and I was be trilingual by now if I had all of her knowledge, but of course I don't because that would just be ridiculous.

7. "Who is the smart/talented twin?"

Both of us? We're both good at some of the same things and some different things. No one is "better" than the other.

8. "Have you ever switched places to take a test for one another?

That would be cheating so... no.

9. Being called "The Twins" or even worse, "Twin"

I have a name. It is not "Twin". Please do not called me "Twin". Please do not call my sister and me "The Twins". We too complex and interesting to just be demoted to be identified as "Twin".

10. "I wish I had a twin."

It is pretty awesome.

Even though I can get tired of being called the wrong name all the time, I am forever grateful for being a twin because I have the best sister and best friend ever.