10 Truths About Working in the Magic Kingdom

Confessions of a former Disney World Cast Member.

199
Elisah Winikka

Whenever I tell people that I worked at Disney World over the summer, I generally get the same brand of reactions and the same types of questions. How did I get that job? Did I like it? Did it make me sick of Disney? Are there really tunnels underneath the entire Magic Kingdom park?

The answers are magic, yes, no, and yes. But the tunnels aren’t that exciting. Trust me.

Anyway, I’m here to answer some of these frequently asked questions and share some of the surprising and interesting things I learned from my time in the Happiest Place On Earth. Specifically, I worked in the Magic Kingdom in Outdoor Vending (which meant I sold popcorn and ice cream mainly, like the coveted Mickey bars and the much better and yet underrated Mickey sandwiches). And drinks. I worked at little stands all over the park, so I was never in the same place for very long (except on certain occasions) but for the most part, I worked West Side (Adventureland, Frontierland, and Liberty Square) and Main Street. I was a seasonal employee, which meant I only worked there for the summer, but I do hope to go back someday! While there's a lot I could talk about, I'll focus on the stuff that really stuck out to me about my time at Disney World.

1. It’s easy to be happy all the time when you’re in the happiest place on earth.

The best part about going to work every day was knowing that no matter what kind of a day I was having, I’d be happy as soon as I got out onstage (which is what we call it when we’re actually out in the park working as opposed to behind the scenes). Guests always talk about how cheerful, happy, and helpful Cast Members are, and honestly, it isn’t that hard to be. Watching Wishes, the amazing fireworks show, every single night, getting to be a part of people's once-in-a-lifetime vacations, and just being there, living in the moment and the magic makes it very easy to keep a smile on your face, even when stuff isn’t going your way. That’s not to say I didn’t have bad days or rough times, but I was happiest when I was at work. Every day was the best day ever!

2. No, I did not get sick of Disney.

If anything, I loved it even more after working there for three months! Being among the magic all the time didn’t make it any less magical, it only made it better, in my opinion. Of course, I am also a huge Disney fangirl, so that might play a part. On my days off, I would spend as much time as I could hanging out in the parks, and just exploring, meeting characters, and having fun! It was literally the greatest.

3. It redefined a 'rush'.

Imagine the busiest fast food restaurant you can and multiply it by ten and then you'll have a bit of an idea of a slow day for us. The pre-parade rushes were absolutely insane, and sometimes I'd be all by myself manning an entire popcorn wagon having to go as fast as possible and keep everybody in the massive lines happy. Yes, it was insane and kind of stressful, but it was always nice to relax while the parades went by, or during the castle show.

4. Your co-workers become family.

That being said, I grew incredibly close to my coworkers over the summer. We would work together sometimes, and there was something about sharing the worst and best moments together that bonded us and made some of my coworkers some of my closest friends. Closing popcorn wagons was kind of the worst, we had to restock drink wagons and then go back out after the park was closed and wipe down every inch of the giant popcorn machine until your hands smelled like vinegar and your back felt like it was going to break. But we all knew the struggle, and it really just bonded us like glue. They weren't just coworkers, they were family.

5. Thunderstorms are on another level.

If you’ve been to Florida you know how intense thunderstorms can be. When lightning gets too close, everything outdoors closes down, including most of our food stands, forcing us to pack up and go to a rain location. Sometimes I would show up to work and head out to a wagon only to go stand in a rain location for hours entertaining guests and watching the storm. Honestly, though, those were some of the best times.

SEE ALSO:17 Signs You've Been To Disney World Too Many Times

6. You meet people from all over the world.

It was a bit of a culture shock, to be honest. I met so many people from all over the world, and it was incredible to get to talk to them and make friends and learn about their cultures. Some of my closest friends were from countries like the UK, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Mexico, just to name a few. I learned so much about the world, and the diversity was just an incredible experience for me.

7. A regular sleeping/eating schedule? What’s that?

I worked late shifts, which meant getting on work at about six, eating dinner on my break around 8:30 or so, and then getting off around one or two in the morning. Not to mention waiting for my friends to get off so we could carpool home together, making stops at McDonald's, getting back and taking a shower before going to bed around 3 am. The only good part of it was that we missed the worst of the awful Florida sun.

8. We don’t wear uniforms: we wear costumes.

Cast Members’ costumes generally aren’t very flattering, but I did rather like the deep pockets and androgynous look. Except when I had to keep correcting people who called me ‘sir’ despite my nametag… We had to rent out costumes and working in ODV meant that we had to make sure we got the right costume for the land we were scheduled to be in that day, and had to travel through the tunnels to get to there because we couldn’t walk through Main Street in a Frontierland costume!

SEE ALSO:You're Here To Work

9. Even in the happiest place on earth, people get cranky. A lot.

Tempers tend to run high at Disney World, especially when it’s ninety degrees out and something goes wrong. I had to deal with some very angry people on a semi-regular basis, witnessed an actual fight break out before security came to stop it, had to call 911 for a guest who passed out from heat exhaustion, often by myself. And these weren't even uncommon occurrences. Guests would yell at me and cuss me out because I couldn’t sell them popcorn after our wagon was closed. One got upset because the popcorn was apparently stale, and demanded I pop some more. And don’t even get me started on the kids having complete meltdowns in line, or the guests who had twenty minutes of standing in line to decide what they want and then stand there in front gaping at our five-item menu trying to pick while everyone else got impatient.

10. But it’s all worth it for those magical moments.

But while the bad stuff tends to stick in your head, I will never forget all of the incredible guest interactions I had. Sometimes I would meet people from my area, or bond with a guest over their t-shirt or their Gravity Falls hat or something like that. Making little kids' nights, or just getting to chat with people about their vacation or just anything in general made it all worth it. I won't ever forget the teenager whose eyes lit up when I told her about the rollercoasters in Hollywood Studios, or the little girl who totally freaked out because I recognized the video game characters on her shirt.

So was it easy? Heck no. Would I do it again? Maybe. Was it an incredible, unique experience that taught me some valuable life lessons, and got Colonial Marches stuck in my head for all time from my many hours in Liberty Square? Yes. And was it just as magical as I thought it would be? Even more.