Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine. I have had scoliosis my whole life but I was diagnosed at 3 or 4 years old. It is not easy. I have had three back surgeries since the age of 4. Here is some of the knowledge I have gained over the years:
1. It will be one of the hardest things you will ever go through.
2. Not everyone will understand what it is and you will have to explain it ALL. THE. TIME.
3. There will be some things that you can't do.
4. You will need to ask for help every once in a while.
5. It is very important to have an orthopedic doctor that you trust and is experienced with scoliosis.
6. A support system is EVERYTHING.
7. It will be one of the most humbling experiences in your life.
8. You learn to appreciate the small things in life.
9. People WILL make fun of you.
10. The most important thing I have learned is that you are NOT scoliosis. This disorder does not define you. You can do whatever you want in life and it makes you a better person. You learn to celebrate and appreciate everyone's differences.
Life is too short to be anything but happy!