A Day In The Life Of A Veterinary Assistant

Y'all, if any of you have ever worked in a veterinary clinic, raise yo' hand. If you work in an emergency clinic, bless your heart. I've been puked on twice already and it ain't even lunch yet.

Let's take a journey, loved ones, through the top ten thoughts that go through my brain during my forty-hour work week!

“I don’t think I can carry this dog off the surgery table”

Sometimes, the puppers are too borkin' big for tiny ol' me!

“What time is/was that client supposed to be in?”

Being two hours late is not cool. Please stop.

“Where did this blood come from?”

This gif is 99.9% accurate. amirite? I wear hemoglobin like a fashion sense these days.

“Is that poop in my hair?”

Yes. Yes, that is most definitley poop. I wonder if it moisturizes?

“Why is this dog so loud?”

It screams like a Dothraki. How can a three pound Chihauha make so much noise?

“Why is this client so loud?”

I see the correlation now between dogs resembling their owners. This is uncanny.

“That is definitely blood on the floor. I'll get it.”

Hello! I have mopped twice and it's only Tuesday!

“What. The. Heck”

What the hecking heck? Just... heck?

“Does this cat bite look normal to you?”

It's puffy and bruised. There is a little blood seeping out, too. Lunch in five minutes, though? (Does this count as watercooler banter?)

“Is it already time to go?”

But... I don't really wanna go home!

... just kidding! See ya l8r, losers!

This is when you leave the building as fast as you can to run home and get as much sleep as possible all so you can wake up and do it all over again the next day!

In short, I've had some wild thoughts as a veterinary assistant. Still, it's totally worth it because I do hold puppies and kittens every day - even the ones that aren't feeling their best. Knowing that I can make an impact in the life of an animal that might otherwise never receive a tender touch is heartwarming, and why I love this job so much.