10 Thought Every Second Semester College Student Experiences

We've all been there.

27
The Northern Review

To all my second semester buddies out there, this one's for you. I think we have all had these thoughts at one point or another, to some degree. Rest assured, it'll be okay! Never fear; you are more capable than you know. But here are ten of those thoughts that creep in on us in the middle of the night, or writing a paper.

1)Why do I have all this homework all of a sudden?

Why is it that every fall we seem to have the time for a Starbucks run or late night trip to the waterfall, but now our nights are in the library or hiding in our rooms for fear or frostbite or *gulp* getting a bad grade on that test that is looming in the ever-near future.

2)I really, really, really want to drop out.

I think we’ve all had this moment when all your jokes about dropping out seem all too relevant, especially in the sight of the next test or paper in that class that no one really likes but has to take. I know I have hysterically laughed "Let's drop out and sell drugs!" as I write and study some more. Maybe we won’t end up as strippers or drug dealers, but becoming zoo owners or world traveler’s sounds like Heaven right now.

3)I miss my family a lot more than I should.

We are adults. Why do I feel the urge to call home and cry every day? Nothing is wrong, it just feels like the separation is becoming more permanent and that’s terrifying. And after college, we are supposed to move out and start life. Yikes. Okay, well, fine, I am an independent woman and I can make it on my own.

In the meantime, Mom, will you call the doctor and schedule my physical?

4) I want a dog.

Or anything soft and furry to take away my stress and make my life a little better. Preferably my own dog, but any dog will do. My inner child wants to be running and frolicking with Aspen and Max again, but alas...that Bio exam...

5)I hate all my clothes.

Yes, the holidays just went by but I honestly have nothing to wear and everyone has seen me wear all these outfits more than is acceptable in most cultures. Even my shoes have been popping up more than they should be. But clothes cost money, so...

6)The snow needs to either stay or go.

I could probably have better outfits if Mother Nature could make up her mind and either give me snow or rain, and maybe not all at once, if at all possible. Also, then we get mud, and this collection of the elements is not doing anybody any favors. Also, there was not enough time to ski this year. And that one 50 degree day wasn’t even fair. In the words of Robert Frost, stop playing possum. Thanks.

7)There can never be enough coffee.

Bring on the caffeine. If I don’t actually need it to stay awake; I need it for the warmth so I don’t freeze on the way to class. Plus, it makes me feel like I’m not alone in the world if I have my crappy cafeteria coffee. A coffee mug is just an extension of my arm at this point. If I didn’t have it, life would be a lot harder.

8)I want to change my major.

Life looms ahead, and you’re wondering if you made the right choice, like do I really want to do this for my whole life? That’s a scary thought. We have to choose our careers based on what we are interested in at that point in time. Hyperventilating. SOS.

9)I need new friends.

I feel like we just live in a mutual state of tolerance at this point. We all hate school, we all kind of are okay with each other, and we all know if those hipsters we wish we were friends with. We take the 'you're okay, I guess' mantra to a whole new level. We just all have those thoughts now and then. But you guys are my homeboys; we stick together.

10) I still love it here.

For all the faults and sometimes long moments of homesickness and fear, there is a comfort because this is our second home. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. It sucks sometimes, but it’s great at the same time. Yes, maybe I want to transfer or change majors or drop out at the wee hours of the night when I’m studying for a final, but at the end of the day, I wouldn’t leave this place for anything. Thanks for hanging with me guys. And even if I hate on my school, if anyone else does, you just started a fight, my friend.

Yep. I still love it.