10 Things You Miss About Texas While Away

There’s just something about Texas that holds a special place in your heart.

244
allposters.com

Having been in Texas for two years of college now, I can definitely attest to the withdrawals I go through during the summer months. Even though it may be nearly 100 degrees everyday and the traffic can be absurd at times, it is the place I have come to call home and desperately miss while away.

1. Whataburger

Ah those late night Whataburger runs after a night out. The HubChub, HBCB, whatever you prefer to call it - The honey butter chicken biscuit seems even more incredible after 11 p.m. This is definitely a serious withdrawal I go through during the summer months of being home. Nothing can beat it.

2. High speed limits

I don’t know about most non-Texans, but 65 or 70 is typically as high as our speed limits go. Driving in Texas, however, is a whole different ball game. You can easily go through areas of 80 or 85 mph. Getting to your destination quickly is no problem at all.

3. Delicious Tex-Mex

Pretty much anywhere you go in Texas, there will be fantastic Tex-Mex food. Probably one of my favorite Tex-Mex places ever is Torchy’s tacos. They have a wide variety of tacos ranging from mild to extremely hot. My personal favorite: the Crossroads - beef brisket with jalapenos, jack cheese and avocado. Side note: always splurge for the side of queso. You’ll thank me later.

4. Wide variety of cities

Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, Austin - there are so many awesome cities in Texas to choose from. One can easily take a road trip and hit a few of them within a couple days. The possibilities are endless.

5. Bluebonnets

One beautiful aspect to the Texas scenery is the gorgeous flowers that emerge at the beginning of every spring. In being Texas’ state flower, Bluebonnets are the perfect backdrop for an impromptu photoshoot or just for admiring on a long drive.

6. The Texas flag

There is just something about that beautiful flag for the Lone Star State that makes everyone from Texas miss it. It’s there to greet you when you come back and is iconic for a reason. It holds a very special place in every Texans heart.

7. Czech Stops

Nothing beats a delicious kolache on a long road trip. In between Waco and DFW, the Czech Stop never fails to deliver amazing food and drinks. The line is almost always out the door, but it goes by pretty fast and is definitely worth the wait.

8. Beautiful sunsets

There may be beautiful sunsets practically anywhere you go, but there is something special about a sunset in Texas - especially during those summer months. With the wide open land, they seem to practically go on forever and are absolutely breathtaking.

9. Endless amounts of sweet tea

Now, having already been from the South, I can’t speak much on this one, but having friends from the North, I have heard it is a serious withdrawal they experience while away. They don’t even dare to ask for a sweet tea up in the North. People will just look at you like you’re crazy. Come down to Texas though - the sweeter the tea, the better.

10. The overall pride

There’s just something about Texas that holds a special place in your heart. Whether you were born there, go to school there or are just visiting, there’s not another state like it.