10 Things You Look Forward To When Going Home For Break

Despite how much fun you might be having at college, you'll always miss these things about home.

415
Max Pixel

For most college freshmen, this will be the first time you are going back home since leaving for college. On the off chance that you have gone home already, this will be the first time you have been home in a long period of time. As much as you love the freedom at college, you'll always miss home and can't wait for these 10 things:

1. Seeing Your Friends

Let's be honest. This has been the hardest thing to get used to, being spread out across the country from all your friends. No worries though, you'll most likely have them for a whole week and then in a few short weeks, you'll have them for another month. It'll be like you never left each other as you catch up on all the latest gossip in everyone's lives.

2. Mom's Home Cooked Meals

Yes, I have to admit I didn't appreciate them nearly as much when I was living at home. Mom, if you're reading this, I'm sorry. Going home and not having to eat dining hall food 24/7 that makes you feel very fat is definitely something I look forward to, especially not having to eat the same thing for every meal, every day. Oh, and the fact that it's Thanksgiving means the food will be 10x better, and there will be 10x as much of it as there usually is, is for sure an amazing thing.

3. Showering Without Flip Flops On

Ah, you can finally sufficiently clean your feet and enjoy your shower without having to worry about your feet touching the grimy shower tile. Oh, and you can avoid the whole squeaking down the hallway thing....

4. Being Able To Drive

Boy did I miss this. Being able to hop in a car and drive wherever you want when you want is so much easier than having to go places on campus. Whether you have to walk, take the bus, or Uber, it takes so much longer to get where you want to go. Blasting music, windows down and jamming out with your friends is something worth missing.

5. Having Your Own Room

Having a roommate took some getting used to, and now I'm so used to having someone with me 24/7. Sorry Sydney, it'll be nice having some privacy and getting my own space for the week.

6. Break From School

No classes to go to and no late nights staying up doing homework until 3 am. Don't worry you'll still have tons of homework over break, but you can save that until Sunday night.

7. Spending Time With Your Family

Family

Yes, I know we all might not call our parents as much as we should, but we all know they miss us and are totally lost without their favorite children at home, am I right or am I right? It'll be nice to spend time with them even though as soon as you step foot into the door all your freedom is gone, but hey after all it's just for a week.

8. Your Dog

I can't really relate to this because my mom refuses to let us get a dog (thanks mom!), but all my friends have been talking about is how excited they are to see their dogs. So yeah, who wouldn't miss those furry irresistible creatures?

9. Your Bed

Contrary to popular belief, my bed at school is VERY comfortable but I definitely miss my bed at home just because its where I basically lived my whole life.

10. Sleeping In

No responsibilities, no tests to wake up early and study for, no need to go to the library. A dream come true: sleeping as late as I want.

These things, along with many others hype us up for Thanksgiving break. Even though it will be a reality check, it will be a worthwhile week spending time with the people you grew up with, family and friends, and time to relax. Of course, going from spending every second with your college bff's to having to suffer through a week without them will be very tough, but there's FaceTime, and after all it's only a week.