Thanksgiving Break Is Too Short, But It Doesn't Have To Be Useless

10 Things to Do This Thanksgiving Holiday

61

Thanksgiving break is coming up, and it’s the perfect time when most of us are in dire need of a break. However, when you think about it, Thanksgiving break really isn’t that long at all. It’s not even a full week, so if you close your eyes, it’ll be over before you even had time to enjoy it. I know we should be grateful for any time off, but it’s more of a long weekend than anything. Nevertheless, it is a good time to relax and rejuvenate for the most stressful two weeks of classes. So here are 10 things you can do to make the most out of the too short Thanksgiving break.

1. Read a Book

In college, the readings never end, and no matter how much of a bookworm you are, sometimes there just isn’t the time to read for fun. That’s why the short break is the perfect time to finally dedicate a few hours to the book you’ve had on your shelf all semester.

2. Spend Time With Old Friends

It’s normal to lose touch with old friends after moving in different directions. But all schools have off for Thanksgiving, so schedule a day to meet up with a high school friend and just spend the day catching up.

3. Get Organized

October and November are the busiest times of the semester, and sometimes it’s just easier to shove everything into the closest folder. If you’re not careful, your color coated school supplies might turn into a jumbled pile of chaos. It won’t take long to clean things up, but you’re finals week will be a lot easier when you aren’t rummaging through random binders for your notes the night before your exam.

4. Catch Up On Schoolwork

I know the last thing you want to think about during the break from classes is more schoolwork, but the break is the perfect time to catch up on everything and get ahead. There’s no classes to work around, no immediate due dates, and the comfort of your own home. Do as much as you can, and you’ll thank yourself later when you already have your final essays completed while your friends are panicking on caffeine rushes in the library in the middle of the night.

5. Binge-Watch a TV Show

Although I’ve heard college students talk about binge-watching TV shows during the school year, I have no idea how they make the time. I have a never ending list of TV shows and movies I’ve been meaning to watch, so whether it’s Fuller House, Breaking Bad, or Stranger Things, grab your popcorn because now’s the time.

6. Spend Time With Family

You don’t see family often when you live away at college, especially if you’re in a different state. So make the most of it, even if it is just for a few days.

7. Get Into a Habit

Although they say it takes about two months to fully create a habit, Thanksgiving break is a great time to start one. You finally have the time and effort, and there aren’t more important things to worry about. So whether it’s exercising, flossing, or going to bed early, now’s the time to take it seriously.

8. Learn Some Recipes

Meal plans are wonderful, but one day you’ll probably have to learn how to cook for yourself. You can’t live off of rice and beans forever (and why would you want to?), so it'll be fun bonding with your loved ones making something absolutely delicious.

9. Get Creative

Unless you take an art or creative writing class, sometimes it’s hard to find time to express your creativity during the semester. And even if you have a little free time between classes, you might not feel motivated to write for pleasure after finishing a five page paper. It can be art, music, writing, knitting, or whatever you’re passionate about, but find some inspiration and get creative!

10. Do Absolutely Nothing

Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is absolutely nothing. It’s one of the best ways to rejuvenate for the rest of the semester. So grab a snack (probably some Ben & Jerry’s ice cream), put on some pajamas, and relax.