10 Things That Happen When You Move Away From Your Sister

The late-night talk and days on the couch together just got a whole lot more rare, but it's still you and your sister against the world.

31
Lindsey Livingston

After 18 years of living at home, I flew the nest to go to college four hours from my hometown. It was difficult to say goodbye to friends and family. It was especially hard to say goodbye to my big sister, my forever friend. Being hundreds of miles apart certainly does not stop two sisters from being close at heart. After two years of being away, I've realized how our relationship has changed, yet we are closer than ever.

1. You love and hate people you've never met.

You and your sister spend some much virtual time together, you know about their daily life and everyone in it. Someone is rude to your sister? You hate them. Your sister has a new close friend? You love them. But you're low-key jealous. It's fine. They'll never share the bond that you two have.

2. Your message thread really has no ending.

It's likely that you won't always catch each other when you're both free, so you end up sending random messages and ideas. A simple conversation can go on for days. Your messages are probably a series of screenshots of weird people from your hometown and what they're up to, cute clothes that require a second opinion, and your plans for when your finally reunite.

3. Your calls feel like they're 20 minutes long, when really they're an hour and a half.

If you grew up living with your sister, it's likely that you both shared nearly every aspect of your day. Before you know it, you won't even realize that you've been telling her the story about the annoying guy in chemistry class, for 45 minutes. When she tells you the chronicles of being an elementary school teacher, you won't realize that you're immersed in the hour-long conversation.

4. You rely on them to keep you updated on the rest of the family.

And when they don't, it's really annoying. "What? You mean they've been divorced for 6 months?" Not cool sister!

5. You're always wondering what they're doing.

You might even have their schedule mapped out so that you can mentally pencil in a perfect time for that two-hour FaceTime call.

6. You still (virtually) do everything together.

You may be hundred of miles apart, but you still do things like collaborate on Pinterest boards to help her plan her wedding (YAY!) and sit on the phone while you're both online shopping the same website. You're still sending pictures of your outfits asking if it looks okay. One night you might call her while she's painting her nails, so you decide that you'll paint your nails right along with her.

7. When the two of you finally reunite, it's like Christmas.

You're home again and everything feels right. You don't think about how much student loan debt you're in, or how bad your calculus final is going to be. All you want to do is snuggle in bed with your sister and drink hot chocolate (or wine. We're adults now.) while watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

8. When you get together, it's like you never left.

You still enjoy your favorite sister-sister activities: eating, binge-watching Friends, shopping, and gossiping. The two of you are back to doing weird things like putting your clothes on wrong or sitting in the sink. Your mom remembers what it's like to have the two of you off in your sister-world, sometimes ignoring her. Sorry mom, it's a sister thing.

9. Leaving them never gets any easier.

Time and time again, saying goodbye to your sister for awhile really hits you where it hurts. You remember that your little holiday of being inseparable has to end. It may no longer be a dragged-out cry-fest anymore, but it is literally the hardest thing to leave your forever friend.

10. No matter how far apart, you're happy for the life that they're living.

You don't get to physically be their shoulder to cry on after a failed test or harsh words, but you're proud of them for being so strong on their journey. It's amazing to see them graduating, beginning their career, getting married, all because they found their own path. Finding your own path is part of life, but it doesn't mean two sisters can't hold hands along the way.