10 Things You Should Never Apologize For

Respect yourself and expect others to do the same.

46
The Huffington Post

Oftentimes, since we live in a society where everyone demands an explanation as to why we make the choices that we do, we forget that there are moments when we do not need the approval of others. When we do not fit the mold that others may want us to fit, we are often expected to apologize for “letting them down.” Not only is that mentality absurd, but also it is unhealthy for us as fluid individuals with ever-changing personalities. Here are 10 things that you should never apologize for under almost every circumstance.

1. Expressing Emotions

Whether you’re angry, excited or afraid, you should never apologize for vocalizing those feelings in an appropriate manner. Expressing emotions is much healthier than letting them fester inside of you until they burst out.

2. Admitting A Fear

I recently arrived in London for my semester abroad and I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t terrified. It isn’t something that I make an effort to emphatically vocalize, but I recognize that fear and it isn’t something that I’m ashamed of, especially when I know that I’m not the first, nor will I be the last, nervous person.

3. Your Taste In Clothes/Music

If something gives you pleasure like a new hat that you got on sale or that one song by that boy band that everyone is still convinced (wrongly) doesn’t write their own music, embrace it! You’re allowed to wear or listen to whatever makes you happy and if anyone gives you an issue about it, they’re not indicating that they care a great deal about your happiness.

4. Who You Love

Although apologizing for who you love may be appropriate if they hurt someone else close to you, most of the time you should not apologize. My mentality is that if whom you love will end up being a mistake, then you have to make it to grow.

5. Your Gender/Faith/Sexuality

Anyone who knows me, knows how strongly I feel about equality for all. Never apologize for your beliefs or who you are intrinsically.

6. Your Path In Life

Everyone has a different path and that is what is so beautiful about our world: we’re entirely unique. If we all took the paths that guaranteed the most money or listened only to our parents’ suggestions while muting our own voices, we would ultimately be unhappy. If you have a passion, don’t apologize for it: show the world that it is just as valid as any other interest.

7. Changing Your Path In Life

We’re young and with that reality comes another one: we are indecisive. Sometimes that’s not a bad thing because it means that we’re open to various possibilities for how to live our lives and we’re not afraid of the unexpected. If you happen to change your course, don’t apologize for being braver than most people.

8. Mental Illnesses

I cannot stress enough how much people should not apologize for mental illnesses and how others should not make them feel obligated to apologize. Whether it is an emotional, physical or mental issue, you deserve respect. Additionally, while you shouldn’t feel the need to apologize, you also should not be made to feel bad if you do feel that obligation to apologize to those around you. It is on the people that love you to help everyone realize that the mental illness stigma must be destroyed.

9. The Way That Those Around You Behave

Those around us are largely out of our control and if we apologized for every action taken by others, we would run out of breath. Only bystanders and the person doing the action can be held accountable for it.

10. Following Your Dreams

Never apologize for following your dreams. Only you can decide whether or not your dream is attainable and worth fighting for, so do not let others convince you that they know better. If they truly care about you, they will offer you advice, but will ultimately let you make the decision so that you are able to experience great things without asking yourself: “What if?”

Realistically, there are always exceptions to the things that we should never apologize for, as there are with anything else. However, if you make every effort possible to live a life with no intention or desire of hurting yourself or anyone else, then you should not apologize for any of the aforementioned characteristics.