10 Things I Learned About Myself After I Moved In With My Boyfriend

The good, the bad, and the unknown.

44
Arica Clauson

In September 2016, I bought a house with my boyfriend. We had never before lived together and both knew there would be challenges coming our way. And while most of the time I joke about him and his habits that I've discovered (like leaving socks all around the house), I realized that I've learned quite a bit about myself as well.

1. I want everything to be neat 24/7 - I knew that I was mostly a neat person, but when I was living with my parents, I was only taking care of my bedroom, and picking up after myself. Now I have a whole house. I give myself 15 min each morning to straighten the pillows on the couch, to make the bed, to put dishes in the dishwasher or away in the cabinets, etc. I get up to fix the dish towel hanging from the stove to makes sure it's even, I straighten candles and picture frames, I pull blankets taught and make sure the shower curtain is fully closed. If I could have it as neat as if no one was living in it, I would.

2. I'm impatient- Now, this one is not true with everything. I drive slow, if there if traffic I know I can't do anything about it, and just turn up the music. I don't constantly check the UPS tracker when I order something. But when it comes to house projects, I want it all done yesterday. A lot of things I want done are things I don't know how to do myself, i.e. changing out light fixtures, installing a washer/dryer, building a desk, etc. So I become that girlfriend that asks 300 times, pouts about it, asks with a huge smile (and invisible halo over her head), and then asks again.

3. I am a true animal lover- Growing up, I've always had dogs. I used to dream about the day when I would own a house and could have a puppy of my very own. After learning that my boyfriend was allergic to even hypoallergenic dogs, we started to look at other options. And when he surprised me on a random Tuesday night with a hedgehog, I fell in love. They are a little bit grumpy and a little bit prickly but I love his tiny bear-like face that looks up at me when I hold him in my lap. I go into our guest room and make sure I say goodbye to him every time I leave the house. It may not be a dog, but I am just as happy with our little hedgie baby.

4. I love TV Series & Netflix- I never used to watch TV series or Netflix often before meeting my boyfriend. I had the occasional shows I liked on a weekday night, but even when we were first dating we did so many other things that we didn't really watch TV. Now that we live together I have seen so many series and am always looking for new ones to watch. I love cuddling up with him and having "our" show that we both like to watch together. It takes us away from our stress, our phones, and really everything else, even for an hour. I used to fight it at first, but I gave in. I'll binge watch a new series anytime ;)

5. I am learning the art of compromise- I say learning because I have not yet mastered this. To reflect on the previous bullets, in regards to the impatience and the neat-freak ones, I realize that our house is never going to look like a museum and that we have to live and that sometimes projects are going to have to wait to get done. For instance, I like decorative pillows, on the bed, on the couch. And by "decorative" I mean those pillows that are there just for looks that you remove before sitting or sleeping. Apparently I chose "the most comfortable pillow ever" for the couch and my boyfriend LOVES to lay on them. Even though I die a little inside every time he smushes it to the shape of his liking, I decided that he deserves to use "the most comfortable pillow ever". I mean I can't stop the guy from being relaxed after a hard day of work. I am internalizing a lot of this compromise, but again, practice makes perfect, right?

6. I am not handy- Growing up, my Dad did everything. He tore down walls and put them up, he did plumbing and hung light fixtures, he installed phones and internet, he fixed holes and cracks and foundation. And my Mom alike, did so much decorating, she hung pictures on walls, put up curtains, painted all types of rooms, made pillows and reupholstered, and made everything look effortlessly beautiful. For some reason, I thought these things would just come naturally to me? I was wrong. I'll admit that I do have my Mother's taste (I hope she agrees) and that I can buy the right things and make rooms feel cozy and pretty, but not fully on my own. What I'll also admit is that I cannot even hammer a nail into my own walls. For weeks I had so many things I wanted to hang and I just could not get myself to do it. What if I miss? What if I put it in the wrong spot? What if I end up with a hundred holes in my wall? So I called my Mom and without a level or any sort of measuring she will hold up the picture for 5 seconds, and hammer away. AND IT'S RIGHT EVERY TIME. It's like magic, maybe it's a Mom thing, who knows. But it's something I do not yet posses.

7. I kind of like doing laundry- I mean, should I even put this in print? I really hated doing laundry at my parents house and admittedly my Mom did most of it. Maybe it was because it was four peoples laundry all mixed together I hated, or maybe because I was just lazy. But now that it's in my house, I like when the washer/dryer is going and its like a soft hum when the house is quiet on a Sunday. I like folding the warm clothes into his and her piles. I love the smell. I love clean towels. And I am almost always caught up with it so there is never too much to do. Call me crazy, and I am sure this is short lived, but for now I do not mind doing it at all.

8. I miss my parents- I am talking like, every day. They only live about a 7 min drive away, but when living with your parents is all you've really known (aside from College) and they are your best friends, it is easy to miss them. I used to have the funniest conversations with my Mom while we got ready in the mornings. Even just having them in the same room, I am one of those people who brings their laptop into the living room just to be with other people. I still do that, instead of sitting in the (cutest) office I have. I always wonder what they are doing and invite them over, even if its just to have a cup of coffee and to see the latest of what we have going on at the house. Don't ever take your parents for granted and the love they provide, it's the best love there is.

9. I am SO appreciative- Of my family, my boyfriend, his family. I never realized how much help I would need, and not just with physical things like moving furniture, but what to expect with owning your own house, for giving me advice when I freak out about financials, for being supportive of any decisions we make. And my boyfriend, I could never say enough. Of course I have always appreciated him, for taking care of me, making me laugh, loving me, but he does so much more than I could have imagined. First off, he puts up with me, he rolls his eyes to me wanting more pillows, agrees to buying a new bed when we have a perfectly good one, (sometimes) remembers where to put back the candle lighter, and what dishes go where. He cooks for me every night. I hate cooking and I am so grateful that he takes his time to make us dinner. So when I get mad for having to clean the dryer because he forgot a pen in his pocket, I remember the cooking, or if I am picking up another sock or pair of shoes, I remember I get warm cooked meals. Part of that compromise thing, but I appreciate it and him every time. He builds me things and hangs up lights, he pours me wine and makes sure I have the comfy blanket. I've never loved someone more, and it is eye opening in the best way.

10. I am genuinely happy- I've been waiting for "this" kind of happiness for a long time. And while I was not unhappy throughout my life, this happiness is different. It is a complete and fulfilling adventure to own your own home, to live with someone you love obsessively who makes you laugh everyday. A time to learn about yourself and your future. It can be stressful at times, sure, but it is so exciting and each day brings something new. I love experiencing it and I love writing about it and I love living it. 10 things wasn't hard to come up with, the biggest one being able to accept that I am a pain in the ass 88% of the time, but my most favorite thing that I have learned about myself is that I am truly and honestly happy and very very blessed, and also completely in awe that this is my life. It was so worth the wait.