10 Things I Wish I Had Known As I Graduated High School

Everything you should know as the "best days of your life" come to an end.

466
Brooklyn Vaughan

The weeks, days, and hours left of your high school career are dwindling down, as your mom begins to increasingly remind you that these are "the best days of your life."

Sports seasons end and senior prom passes by, and the rest of the "lasts" of everything are taking place. Some of them you may realize, like your last cafeteria cookie ever, and some of them might pass you by too quickly, such as the last time passing through one of the stairwells.

When I reflect on the ending of my high school career, I remember most of it as just a blur because I was filled with so many emotions. My thoughts were often scattered from worried to excited, and nostalgic to impatient. As I reflect upon this time, I realize that it's probably due to the fact that there were so many uncertainties looming above my head.

Here are the things I wish I had known as my anxious-yet-ambitious self experienced one of the most important times in my life: the end of high school and the acceptance of moving on.

1. A high-school diploma is a huge accomplishment.

Congratulations! Most of the past 18 years have been spent working towards the “piece of paper” you’ve just received. You learned everything from times-tables in elementary school to taking scary standardized tests in high school. (Although your biggest feat may be surviving the treacherous middle-school phase that we all pass through.) It's safe to say that you’ve come a long way from your AM/PM kindergarten days full of crafts and circle-time.

2. It’s okay to cry over leaving high school. It’s okay to not cry too.

Above all, leaving high school is symbolic to most as officially becoming an adult. A grown up. Or as I would like to call it, a “real-life, fully-functioning human being.” There’s a ton of emotions surrounding this transition of life, so it’s normal to cry over an event like this. Don’t listen to those who say otherwise.

3. Keep in touch with your high school friends. (If you wish.)

Personally, keeping in touch with my friends from high school was important because we've shared so many memories together and call the same place home, even if we're miles and miles away. At college, or anywhere in the real world, you're surrounded by people you've never met before, maybe from a place you have never even heard of.

4. Start saving your money! (Like, now.)

Working hard over the summer (or year round) is crucial if you'd like to have a comfortable amount of spending money during the school year. Beyond the late night pizza runs, it's important to start thinking about saving money for potential opportunities like studying abroad or a fun spring break trip!

5. There’s a ton of free time in college, but use it wisely.

If your plans after graduation include heading off to a college or university, the look of your schedule is at your discretion. Those two hour slots in between classes can be used for a nap, some Netflix episodes, writing that essay that’s due at the end of the week, or a nap. Whatever you choose to do, make it count.

6. Prioritize your mental health.

Now that you're more independent and have more responsibilities, it's especially easy for stress to build up. You may have heard about how enjoyable it is for students to skip class, but the reality is that many professors adhere to a strict (or not-so-strict) attendance policy.

That doesn't mean taking a "mental health day" is a bad thing, though! If you ever feel so overwhelmed that you need a day to catch up on school or work, don't feel guilty about it. As always, reach out to someone you trust or a professional if you feel as though your mental and emotional state is not in a healthy position.

7. Don't compare yourself to your peers.

Instead of being jealous of the social media posts from the girl you went to high school with who's vacationing in Maui or the boy who scored a major internship, pay attention to your own goals and strive for your personal successes!

8. Network. Network. Network.

Somewhere along the road you've heard the saying "It's not about what you know, it's about who you know." While this may not always be the case, in life beyond high school it certainly plays a role. Establishing friendships and making connections can seriously pay off in the long run. You never know who could help you open a new door one day!

9. Appreciate your support system.

If I'm being 100% honest, I'll admit that I never truly understood and appreciated the amount of sacrifice and hard work my parents put into raising me to the fullest extent. My parents are superheroes. In high school, I would often get annoyed and argue with them over my sassy teenage attitude, but a greater sense of maturity comes along after parting ways with the days of lockers and hallway gossip.

Whether it's your parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles, or best friends—thank them for all they've done to get you where they are today. It truly does take a village.

10. Don't be afraid to try new things!

So much is changing in your life, so why not introduce something new? Post-graduation is the perfect time to pick up new hobbies, join a club, start a fitness routine, or do something you never thought was possible. (For me, it was writing for Odyssey. And here I am today!)