10 Things I've Learned From My Dad

10 Things I've Learned From My Dad

This one's for you dad.

70
10 Things I've Learned From My Dad
Samantha Melvin

Like most girls, growing up I was always a daddy's girl. Between taking trips to 7-11 for slurpees, afternoon runs to the Home Depot or trips to BlockBuster for our movie nights, spending time with my Dad was always something I enjoyed. Along the way, I learned important lessons as well as qualities I should strive to have as an adult. If you're a daddy's girl like myself, I'm sure you can relate to all of these things you've learned from your dad growing up.

1. Patience.

While I have not met a lot of people in my life that have the kind of patience my father does, he always taught me the importance of it. Not only that, but watching him as I grew up and continue to learn in life, I realized that that is the kind of quality I want to see in myself.

2. Learn to forgive and forget.

Along with my father's patient personality, he is also a very forgiving and kind person. He always taught me to let the little things go and forgive the one's who have hurt you because holding onto the anger is not worth it. This is still a lesson I am continuing to learn from him.

3. Always be kind.

No matter what you're going through in your life, no matter how bad of a day you are having, never take that anger out on other people. Despite how someone else treats you, always be kind. Like he always says, "it takes more thought and energy to be mean to people than it does to just be nice." Which is 100% true. Being kind to each other is such a simple thing we could all start doing, that takes barley any effort but could go a long way.

4. See how he treats his mother or sisters, and that's how he will treat you.

My father always told my sister and I when we started dating to be mindful about how the guy would treat his own mother and sister (if he had one) because that's how he will treat you. He always said, if he doesn't have any respect for his own mother or sister, what makes you think he will respect you?

5. Money and status doesn't matter more than having the people you love in your life.

My family and I always joke and fantasize about what we would do if we won the lottery. We plan out where we would live, what vacation we would take first and what we would do with the money. But my father always says the same thing. He says that having a nice car, a nice house and all of those materialistic things are great and exciting, but the most important thing is to have your family and the people you love. He always says we should feel lucky with the life that we have.

6. He should always make you a priority.

My father is always very quick to tell my sister and I what kind of qualities we should be looking for in a man. One thing that has always stuck out to me is the fact that whoever we are dating, they should make us a priority. This means that they make an effort to be there when they say they will be there, and they never make you feel like you're unimportant. He always said if they don't make you a priority now, what makes you think that's going to change?

7. Be appreciative.

My father is always the person to jump at the opportunity to help someone, and he never expects anything in return. This is something I value the most about him, and that I am so grateful to have learned from him. We should always be appreciative of the people we have in our life and for those who help us. Not many people will go out of their way to help you, so when someone does we need to appreciate that and never take it for granted.

8. Never chase after a man.

Having two daughters, my father has always been one to give us advice on what we should look for in a man. If someone wants to be with you and you're important to them, they will make an effort to keep you in their life. But if they show no effort, and don't seem to care about whether you're there or not, never chase after them.

9. Working hard is the only way you'll get to where you want to be in life.

I see my dad everyday come home from work exhausted. He drives 120 miles a day, 60 to work and 60 home. He has always taught me that you can't expect for things to be handed to you on a silver platter, you have to work for them and earn them. Both him and my mother have made a great life for my sister and I because they worked their butts off to get us here. They both have taught me that I can do anything I want in life as long as I am willing to work for it, and give it my all.

10. Be the best person you can be.

My dad always reiterates on the fact that we should all try to be the best person we can be. No one is perfect, and that's okay. As long as we try each day to be kind to people, help people out when they need it and always appreciate the little things in life and the one's we love, we are being the best versions of ourselves. While my dad may not notice it, everyday he is making me want to be a better person, and I can only hope that I will be like him someday and teach my children the same things he has taught me.