10 Things Every Bostonian Knows To Be True About Winter

Say good-bye to Dunkin' Donuts' ice coffees.

15
Robert S. Donovan

You’ve seen it on the news and in movies; you’ve read about it in magazines that were lying around on your coffee table. The famous New England winter. You don’t really know what you’re up against until you’ve lived through one in what is often known as one of the coldest parts of North America.

1 .The Charles River freezing over as you find yourself contemplating if it really is possible to skate on its surface.

The movies make it look so fun... maybe next winter?

2. That wonderful moment when your car disappears under the snow and you know you have to wake up an hour early to shovel it out and chip ice off the windows.

Maybe just call in sick?

3. Talks of Nor'easters on the news become more of an annoyance and less of something to be anxious about.

Which is probably unwise.

4. Canada goose jackets and bean boots have come out of the depths of your closet.

It's all fun and games until you walk outside and you realize that everyone looks the same.

5. It takes over 9 feet of snow for a no school day to be announced.

But when it IS announced, you fall to your knees and thank the snow day gods.

6. Hot apple cider being everywhere.

At this point, it doesn't really matter if you don't like it. Either way, you find yourself drinking it.

7. Walking to school just isn't an option.

Unless you're one of those people who think sacrificing your pants and shoes is fun.

8. Your mud room being the dirtiest thing you've ever seen.

There's mud everywhere you look, and you really don't know what to do about it.

9. Making the mistake of forgetting your gloves and having to experience all of your fingers losing their nerves.

All while imaging that is what people feel like when they get their fingers chopped off.

10. Slipping on black ice and having to brush it off like it's no big deal.

In reality, you probably have a huge bruise on the side of your thigh that you'll cry about later.