9 Things That Change When You Go to College

Things change, even if you don't want them to

27

1. Your diet

I promise, you will miss your mothers cooking. Cafeteria food will get old, and it will get old really quick. Those trips to McDonalds or ordering Chinese food with your roommate can’t last forever.

2. Your sleep schedule

Staying up until 2 a.m finishing your papers that were due last night becomes a weekly occurrence, and staying up with your roommate talking about literally anything tends to happen every night. Sleep will become something you can only wish for, and eventually you'll wish for it more and more.

3. Your laundry schedule

Used to having clean clothes done by mom everyday? Forget it. Pushing three weeks of having a full hamper has become the norm.

4. Your financial state

Calling mom or dad for money every week and spending it on food will never stop.

5. Your choice of attire

“Nice Outfits” are sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Jeans? No thank you.

6. You still have no idea what to do with your life

Yes, you still feel the same pressure you did when your prospective colleges were asking you what you wanted to major in. Do not feel stressed or overwhelmed. You have your whole life to figure out what you want to do, in college you learn what you DON’T want, which is sometimes more important than what you do.

7. Your relationship with coffee

You never realized how valuable caffeine is until you're sitting in your Psychology class struggling to keep your eyes open.

8. Cliques

Just like in high school, there will always be cliques. There will always be that group of girls that eat every meal in the cafe together & go out every Thursday night. Find your clique, it will make college a lot easier. However, don’t be so “cliquey”, that you don’t allow new friends into the group.

9. Your relationship with your friends from home

Change is inevitable. Going from seeing your best friends everyday to talking a few times a week is sad. Before everyone went to school, you all promised that nothing would change, but it does. Being away from each other and trying to balance all of your school work and sports is hard, but you should never forget where you came from or who’s been there from the beginning. Make time for the ones that matter.