10 Simple Hobbies To Pick Up In 2017

10 Simple Hobbies To Pick Up In 2017

Need a New Years Resolution? Look no further

130
10 Simple Hobbies To Pick Up In 2017
Daybreaker Co.

With the New Year, everyone is thinking of what their resolutions are going to be. Many people set large, unfocused goals and are then disappointed by March when they haven’t made any progress towards their goals. Here you can find some concrete and simple hobbies that can help you to achieve goals like getting fit, being more creative, getting outside, or being more mindful. These simple hobbies can take up a small amount of time in your weekly routine and make you feel accomplished! There’s something on this list for everyone. If you’re feeling really ambitious, try out a few hobbies this new year!

1. Play the ukulele.

Have you always wanted to play guitar? Or any musical instrument? The ukulele is a fun alternative to the guitar. With just four strings it can be picked up with just a few hours of practice a week, especially if you’re someone who has never played a string instrument before. There are tons of YouTube tutorials and helpful websites available for the ukulele beginner. UkuTabs is a great place to find a song to learn, tips on strumming, and for tuning your ukulele. Ten Thumbs Productions on YouTube is a great resource for learning complicated riffs, different strumming techniques, and how to read ukulele tab. Within a few weeks you’ll have a few songs under your belt and be able to show off to your friends!

2. Start doing yoga.

If getting in shape is something you wish for the new year than yoga is definitely something you should try. Especially if you don’t consider yourself an athletic person. Yoga can help you to get in shape while building your confidence, balance, and sense of inner peace. All you need is a yoga mat and some comfy clothes to get started! There are tons of yoga tutorials online and on YouTube. The Yoga Studio app by Gaiam is particularly helpful as it has collections of ready-made classes from beginner to advanced and is free. Going to an in person yoga class is something that you should definitely try and will find worthwhile. Search around on the internet for local studios and try out classes at a few different studios before deciding on one that is a good fit. Many studios should be offering new year and/or new student promotions that you should take advantage of to start your yoga journey in the new year!

3. Start journaling.

If you’ve always wanted to journal but never quite been able to start than let 2017 be the year that you do! First, figure out what style of journaling is best for you. Do you prefer to type on the computer? Try starting a password protected Tumblr blog to keep all of your entries in! Is pen and paper more your thing? Go out and buy yourself a cheap, small journal that you can carry around with you. Do you need a bit more structure? Try your hand at bullet journaling. There are tons of tutorials on Pinterest, Youtube and Tumblr that will help get you started. Start out by journaling weekly or biweekly and slowly increase or decrease how much your journal based on your own comfort and need. Journaling should be enjoyable and stress relieving. Don’t feel pressured to journal every day, go at your own pace.

4. Practice meditation and mindfulness.

Did stress take over your life in 2016? Turn 2017 around by practicing meditation and mindfulness to relieve stress, calm anxiety, and motivate you to get things done. Meditation can seem like a difficult task, especially if you have a restless mind. But, apps like Headspace can help you to structure and schedule in your meditation time. You can start with just 10 minutes a day of guided meditations that will help you to find that inner peace you’ve been missing in 2016.

5. Pick up knitting.

Has your creativity fallen to the wayside in the business and commotion of the past year? Well get those creative juices flowing again by picking up knitting in the new year. It may seem like knitting is hard, but with new knitting looms, online tutorials, and self-taught knitting kits it’s really quite simple to make yourself a knitted creation. Loom knitting is particularly easy if you aren’t very good with knitting needles and you can make yourself a hat in as little as two hours. Head to your local craft store and pick up some yarn, a loom, and a new burst of creative energy!

6. Learn about a subject you've always been interested in.

Have you always been interested in learning more about US History, but just never had the time? What about chemistry, politics, world history, psychology, or more? If so, than make your 2017 resolution to learn more about subjects you’ve always been interested in. There’s a whole new side of educational YouTube channels that are growing and thriving and waiting for you to click play on a whole new world of learning. Channels like CrashCourse, CGP Grey, Animal Wonders, The Brain Scoop, and SciShow can help you learn about all different subjects in a fun and engaging way. Put on a video while you get ready in the morning or while you wind down after a long day. Soon enough you’ll be learning more then you could’ve imagined!

7. Admire more art.

Have you spent a lot of 2016 focusing on the bad in our world? Turn your point of view around and commit to seeing more art in 2017. Whether this means enjoying more theater, going to more concerts, or visiting more art galleries. Consider supporting local artists and musicians by becoming a member of a local museum or art gallery. Buy season tickets for your local orchestra, band,chamber music, or theater groups. Or, just make of list of galleries or concerts that you’d like to visit in 2017 and make sure to plan trips to them! Check out local art and history museums, go to the concerts at a local college or university, or take a trip to a sculpture garden or park. Bring more happiness and inspiration into your 2017.

8. Geocaching.

Do you want to get outside more but find hiking or walking a bit boring? Geocaching might just be the thing you’re looking for. A sort of global scavenger hunt, geocaching involves locating tiny treasure hidden all over the world and your neighborhood. Once you locate the caches you can sign a log and track your progress on the Geocaching app. The Geocaching app allows you to locate caches near you and leads you right to them. Since caches are usually located in local parks, nature preservations, and other green spaces it’s a great, interactive way to get outside in the new year. Careful, it can be addicting!

9. Volunteer.

After the dumpster fire that has been 2016, bring a little light into 2017 by volunteering your time to a cause you believe in. Search online to see local homeless shelters, animal shelters, animal hospitals, hospitals, schools, food pantries, or national parks that could use your time and skill in the new year. Start by planning one volunteer visit for a few hours or even a day. Depending on your schedule and availability, try to volunteer at least one-two hours of your time every month or every two months. Spreading happiness isn’t just something we should do during the holiday season.

10. Read more with a reading challenge.

Have you been meaning to read more? Kick your bookworm butt into gear with a reading challenge for 2017. Set a goal of 15, 20, 25, or 30 books to read in 2017. Use apps like Goodreads to help you keep track of the books you’ve read and want to read in the new year. Looking for a way to keep your book reading motivation? Challenge a friend, sibling, or parent to do the challenge with you.