10 Signs You Have Lived in Chicago For Too Long

The hustle and bustle of the Windy City offers a unique living experience for a Chicagoan

37

Chicago is home to blues, jazz, and deep dish pizza. A true native Chicagoan and someone who has lived here for way to long has a different lifestyle compared to other cities. These differences are seen and a Chicago resident will stand out in various types of settings. Here are 10 signs you have lived in Chicago for way to long:

The Kennedy, Eisenhower and Stevenson

Chicagoans have a unique way in how they call their highway systems. For Chicagoland suburbs and travelers from other places they may say I-90 or I-290. However, using these terms are what Chicagoans refer to. In fact, the last stop on the CTA red line is 95th/Dan Ryan.

There are two seasons: winter and construction

Those long winter nights are challenging and once it starts to warm up, residents begin to be more on the move going to places and exercising on the lakefront trail. You might think summer is near since it is spring, but construction is an enemy that impedes Chicagoans from going to their places. Those pot holes from salting the roads and sidewalks won't fix themselves.

People ride and call it  the "L" it is not a subway 

New York City may call there trains the subway, but Chicago's CTA trains are reffered to as the El. The term El means elevated trains. All of the train lines are all elevated with the exception of the blue and red line being partially elevated since it goes underground near the Loop.

Ketchup on a Chicago style hot dog is a NO!

You have heard this to many times, but a Chicago style hot dog does not include ketchup. Never put ketchup on a hotdog and claim it is a Chicago styled hotdog. It will make Chicagoans upset.

Free museum days were the best

When museums such as the John G. Shedd Aquirum or the Field Museum would announce their free museum days, you made sure to add that to your calander. These free museum days gave you the chance to save money and learn new things from different subjects. It is something a Chicagoan would not want to miss out.

It will still be called the Sears Tower not Willis Tower

From changing the name to the Willis Tower from the Sears Tower, Chicago residents have not accepted this fact yet. You might hear tourists call it the Willis Tower, but to a true Chicagoan, it will always be the Sears Tower at heart.

DIBS

The unoffical written rule for Chicago is if you see ou shovel snow from a parking space and defend it with some old furniture to mark the space, you can claim it for as long as the city is covered in snow. Better be sure to not break this unwritten rule!

Chicago has too many nicknames

The second city, Chitown, the windy city are some of the many nicknames that people call this wonderful city. A person outside of Chicago may just know the official city name, but the many nicknames make it a unique place.

Chicagoans are irritated when suburbans claim they are from Chicago

The Chicagoland area which is home to many different suburbs may have the word Chicago in it. However, they are not a true Chicagoan if they do not live in the city. Many will say they are from Chicago but in reality, they live in a small gated town that is very different from the hustle and bustle of the city.

No city can ever beat Chicago

Chicago has New York and Los Angeles to compete with. However, Chicagoans are proud to call their city number one. New York may seem arrogant while Los Angeles can seem like a whole different world. Chicago will be the number one to a Chicago citizen.