10 Signs You Need To Dump Your Friends

10 Signs You Need To Dump Your Friends

Time to say goodbye.

567
10 Signs You Need To Dump Your Friends
themoviedb.org

Breaking up with a friend can be even harder than breaking up with a significant other, but sometimes it just has to be done. Here are 10 signs that it's time to say goodbye.

1. They always criticize you.

Whether it be what brand of clothes you wear, what you eat, or how you present yourself, this friend always has something to say. If their comments turn from "yeah, you could definitely eat that fourth slice of pizza," to "that portion you're eating is too big," then you should probably dump your friend. Sure, friends encourage each other to be healthy, work out, and be happy, but if these comments start to turn derogatory instead of encouraging, then you have a problem.

2. They never do what you want to do.

I think we all know a friend like this one. From always having control of what music is played in the car, to what you guys do when you hang out, they always have to have it their way. Whatever you suggest just doesn't seem to live up to their standards. Which brings me to the next item on the list...

3. Their ideas are always better than yours.

A friendship can be about showing each other new things, such as movies, music, or activities, but if their suggestions always overshadow yours, making you feel stupid or "not as fun," then you need to break it off, fast.

4. They are verbally or physically abusive.

If it's a playful smack or an inside joke, no worries here. Everyone gets called a bitch sometime in their life by a close friend, but if the insults or hits start to be more abusive than what a sibling would do, then you're in a dangerous situation. Get out, now.

5. They always put you down.

This one can be a little tricky. Putting you down doesn't necessarily mean your friend is doing it on purpose, or even know that they're doing it. You're supposed to help friends in their time of need, like depression, anxiety, family issues, or relationship issues, but if they seem to never be happy or satisfied with life, and their downer attitude starting bleeding into your life and effecting your own happiness, then you need to let go.

6. They never approve of who you're dating.

Friends can be like parents. When you start dating someone new, they always have something to say about them - what they look like, how they act, who they hang out with, which is fine. But, if it's getting to the point where they can't like, or even tolerate, every person you date, then they're not being fair to you. This also applies not only to new boyfriends and girlfriends, but to new friends you make as well.

7. They decide what kind of person you should be.

This one is pretty self-explanatory. It combines what you do, who they say you should hang out with, or how you react to certain situations. If you do something that makes you happy, like joining a club or starting a new activity that they don't approve of because it doesn't fit into their personal social structure, then leave. There's a big difference between your friend saying, "you should do this," or "you might like to do this," than "you NEED to do this," or "you CAN'T do this."

8. They expect you to be with them all the time.

Some days you just need a break. Maybe you're sad, or don't feel sociable. You can't explain it, but you just don't feel 100%. If your friend constantly needs attention, or berates you for not hanging out with them constantly, then they need to respect your privacy. You need alone time, and your "friend" needs to realize that.

9. You have more bad days than good days.

Think about the day-to-day life with your friend. Are you happy? Are you content? If hanging out with them starts to become more stressful than it is fun or stimulating, re-vamp your friends' list.

10. You just don't have anything in common anymore.

Whether it be morals, politics, activities, other friends, restaurants, and so on, if none of these interests match up with your friend, then what's the point? Having a good friend is about meaningful conversations, fun nights out, and having a shoulder to cry on. If they don't fulfill those requirements for you, then you need to stop sacrificing your time and happiness for someone who isn't worth it.

Dumping a friend is hard, especially those you've been with for years. It will get messy - people will be blocked, rumors will be started, and pictures will get erased. It will be hard, but overall, you will be much happier once you get rid of that negativity in your life. After all, you can always make new friends - ones that pick you up instead of put you down, and encourage you to be your best self. So just remember you're worthwhile, and don't tolerate anyone that will take that way from you.

If you or anyone you know needs to talk to someone about abusive relationships, please use these resources.

Crisis Text Line: Text "GO" to 741741

National Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-800-442-HOPE

Love Is Respect: Text "LOVEIS" to 22522, or call 1-866-331-9474