10 Sex Myths That Every College Kid Needs To Stop Believing

Let's talk about sex, baby.

97

Seattle U Students! Here are 10 Sex Facts you need to Know

Myth #1—“Well… You know what big shoes mean..."

FACT: There is no correlation between shoe size and penis size! Same goes for height, hand size and ear size.

Myth #2—A woman’s vagina can be “tight” or “loose.”

FACT: The size/shape/tightness of a woman’s vagina is not altered in any way by frequent sex, vigorous sex, or penis size.

Myth #3—The first time a woman has sex will always hurt.

FACT: The first time should not hurt more than any other time. It may hurt if the woman is not aroused, causing a lack of self-lubrication which could lead to abrasions or tearing or if the partner is too rough.

Myth #4—A woman can’t get pregnant during her period.

FACT: While it’s not super common, a woman CAN get pregnant on her period. Sperm can live inside a woman’s reproductive organs for up to 5 days.

Myth #5—Size = Satisfaction

FACT: Although there are always expectations based on personal preference, penis size is actually not important to a woman’s pleasure.

Myth #6—Semen “taste” varies based on diet.

FACT: There is no scientific evidence that states semen taste can be effected by food and beverages. While research shows the sodium content of semen does vary among males, urologists generally say men can’t modify the taste of their semen.

Myth #7—You’d know if your partner had a STI (sexually transmitted infection).

FACT: There are two types of STI: bacterial and viral. Many STIs, including gonorrhea and chlamydia, are bacterial and can be cured using antibiotics that you can get from your doctor. They're curable within a couple of weeks. However, STIs can also be caused by viruses. Examples of these are hepatitis, HPV, and HIV. These cannot be cured, but there is treatment to help these symptoms. With the help of their doctors, people with STIs can live long, healthy lives. You can also get STIs from oral sex.

Myth #8—Men think about sex every seven seconds.

FACT: Terri Fisher and her research team at Ohio State University found that the average man in their study had 19 thoughts about sex a day. This was more than the women in their study, who had about 10 thoughts a day. However, the men also had more thoughts about food and sleep.

Myth #9—Birth control causes weight gain

FACT: According to the Mayo clinic, “studies have shown that the effect of the birth control pill on weight is small — if it exists at all. Instead, you may be retaining more fluid, which can make you feel as if you've put on weight, particularly in your breasts, hips and thighs.”