10 Self-Care Ideas To Try In 2017

10 Self-Care Ideas To Try In 2017

Treat Yo Self 2017!

20
10 Self-Care Ideas To Try In 2017
Aziz Ansari

2017 will be… Interesting, to say the least. I think we all could use some self-care in the coming days. Try one, or challenge yourself to try all 10 and have an amazing year.

1. Find a hobby.

Feminist embroidery! Knitting! Watercolors! The world's your oyster; adding some creativity to your life is always a good thing. I think I’m going to try embroidering “Destroy the Patriarchy” on a pin cushion.

2. Figure out what exercise you actually enjoy.

God, I hate running. Like, a lot. Yet every few months I try and go running and -- shocker -- I hate it. In 2017, I pledge to exercise (because endorphins, health, and all that), but I am going to do what I actually like: Swimming, kayaking, hiking, biking, and dancing my feet off. Find what you like to do and do it (even if it's -- shudder -- running)!

3. Learn to have fun by yourself.

OK, so I know you have heard this before: “Learn to eat dinner alone and find your true self,” blah blah blah. It sounds pretty hokey. This is definitely not a cure-all for everything, but I have to say, when I gave myself permission to travel, go to the movies, and -- yes -- eat dinner by myself, I found that I was happier. It’s a whole new world, people (one with considerably less waiting by the phone).

4. Try a new nighttime or morning routine.

Always rushing out the door without breakfast? Netflix until passing out at 2 a.m. the norm for you? Try to make a new routine and stick with small changes. Set an alarm 20 minutes early and actually make breakfast. Make a “No Netflix Before Bed” rule and read or listen to music instead. Little changes will make for better sleep and less hectic mornings.

5. Make healthy food fun.

Let's be real: As good as pizza and milkshakes taste, you won’t feel great if that’s all you eat. I know I feel better when I am eating my fruits and veggies (I think this is the moment I am officially an “un-fun adult”). Check out, Buzzfeed's easy, cheap meals to start. It has recipes that are cheap, healthy, yummy and not time-consuming. Amazing!

6. Find a physical space to relax.

A room, a corner, a chair -- find somewhere in your life that you don’t have to work, talk to people, or (hopefully) stress out. Nowhere in your home where this is possible? Find a coffee shop, or a park bench. I have a chair in my apartment where I sit and drink tea. It’s strangely awesome.

7. Spring clean early.

I hate cleaning -- until I actually start cleaning. Sell old clothes, do the dishes that have been piling up, and do the laundry you have been putting off. Future you will thank you.

8. Bullet journal (or just regular journal) your stress away.

Bullet journaling is a great idea (learn more here)! But if you're like me and can’t deal with all the rules, maybe pick up a regular journal instead.

9. Go explore the great outdoors.

I’m not saying everyone has to become the Brawny paper towel man -- if hiking, or camping are not for you, take a walk or even a road trip to somewhere beautiful. Take a deep breath of unpolluted air and smile.

10. Treat Yo Self 2017!

Buy that bottle of wine you love, treat yourself to a new book, use that crazy expensive bath bomb. If you need some TLC, take it! No need for a special occasion. You deserve it.