10 Reasons Why New York City Doesn't Suck

We are a city of complainers, but we are actually pretty lucky.

142
fxgallery

People that live in New York love to complain about living in New York. Even though millions of people obviously choose to live here, and more are flocking to the cultural center every day, we still find reasons to dislike the place. It is definitely the sort of city in which one is required to go the extra mile in order to get by.

However, that extra mile does come with rewards. Though some of them may be small things, they are nonetheless wonderful. So if you live in New York, and you have ever thought, "Why on Earth am I living here??", this is for you.

1. Pizza

Walk three blocks in any direction in pretty much any part of Manhattan and you will find yourself some gooood pizza. Walk a little further, and you will likely be able to find a slice for 99 cents (or two slices and a soda for just $2.75!!). Most of these 99 cent places are making pizzas 24 hours a day, and their tiny shops are always bumpin’. You will almost always get a slice straight out of the oven. I’ve never had a slice of pizza in New York that didn’t blow my mind, but let me tell you, this stuff is particularly satisfying considering that a huge slice is just 99 cents.

2. 24 hour stores

New Yorkers always have a lot of stuff to do, and sometimes we just don’t get the chance to do our grocery shopping until 3 am. Sometimes we clock out of work at midnight and remember that we need to do the dishes when we get home and that we really need dish soap, and it can’t wait until tomorrow. Some of us just live a nocturnal life, wake up at 2 pm, and our usual dinner time isn’t until 11. If something isn’t open 24/7, it’s typically open pretty darn late compared to the standard operating hours of businesses anywhere else. Whatever way you choose to live, and whatever you may need, odds are that you can find it in New York City at any time of the day.

3. Art Galleries

At just about any given time in New York City, somewhere, there is a free art gallery. This place is full of artists trying to get their start, so naturally it is full of places for one to see art. Go on a hunt and you will find some of the coolest art in some of the weirdest gallery spaces, and very often, a ticket in will cost $0. Some of them will ask for donations, but a shelling out a few bucks to allow artists to continue to show their pieces and gain recognition… It’s a win-win. If you look for it, you will find some amazing stuff and probably meet some really interesting people.

4. Free events

While the cost of living is.. Uh.. not cheap… Luckilly, this city offers tons of things to do when you have $3.82 in your bank account. Festivals, parades, movie screenings, even concerts… There’s always something going on here. You may have to stand in a line for a little bit to get a good seat, but it’s definitely worth it. How many places will let you see a critically acclaimed animated film in a park, under the stars, with the composer of the movie’s score and his band playing all of the music live, for free??Just Google “free stuff to do in NYC this summer” and you will be filling up your calendar immediately.

5. Food from everywhere

You could eat the cuisine of a different region for every meal in one day without walking more than five blocks. Actually, you don’t even have to walk to experience the food of the world, because it seems like just about every restaurant in this city can be found on Grubhub. Honestly, look around a little bit and you will notice Mexican, Italian, Indian, Korean, Chinese, Caribbean, Japanese, etc. restaurants all within blocks of each other. And that just doesn’t mean a Chipotle, Domino’s, and Panda Express will be on the same block, but you can find real authentic stuff. On top of that, there are crazy fusion restaurants popping up all over that mix the cooking styles and flavors of all sorts of regions to create amazing new foods. Basically, if you can imagine it, you can have it for dinner in New York.

6. People from everywhere

If you sit on a full subway, look left, then look right, it is likely that the people you see on either side of you grew up in very different places. This city is occupied by people from all over the world, making it an amazing melting pot of experiences and cultures. Every person that lives here has something to give, and every new perspective that joins the community makes it more diverse and wonderful. There is so much to learn from the people around you.

7. Rooftops

If you are have an accessible rooftop, or you are blessed to have a friend with one, you are so lucky. Something about basking in the sun on a summer day, or feeling the snow fall on you for the first time in winter, or watching clouds pass by a full moon from a roof is just really special. Being on the roof of your apartment building, you get that wonderful feeling of being outside and breathing fresh air without having to be around other people. The people here are great, but sometimes a person just needs to be alone in a place that isn’t their own bedroom. Along with the wonderful solitude of sitting on your own roof, if you actually enjoy socializing, there are also a ton of rooftop bars and restaurants that open up in the city during the summer. How many times have you ever hung out on the roof of a building in a suburb?

8. The MTA

Hear me out… The subways are pretty great. Yes, service can be unpredictable. Yes, everyone that commutes to work has probably been late at least once because of a sudden “NYPD investigation” at a stop along the way, or because an animal jumped onto the tracks, or because of a “signal malfunction.” But listen… How many places in the world allow travel the full expanse of a city, including crossing over(or under) rivers, in less than two hours, for only $2.75? Yes, they may be raising the fee very soon. However, right now, you can travel on the MTA system, including subways and buses, and unlimited number of times, for an entire month, for just $116.50. Think about how much you would be paying just for gas if you were to drive the distance most people travel to and from work every day, including the time you would spend stuck in traffic. That’s not even considering car insurance and the frequent repairs one must deal with when you live in a city of risky parallel parkers and insane cab drivers. Appreciate your public transportation, New Yorkers. If nothing else, at least it gives us all something to talk about.

9. Central park

At the center of Manhattan sits an amazing, beautiful, massive oasis that we like to call Central Park. The park is 2.5 miles long and .5 miles wide. It is open year-round, and a lot of New Yorkers still haven’t seen all of it. Central Park has so much to offer, but the best part may be that when you stand in the middle of it, you will forget that you’re in a city. You can’t hear a single car horn or street peddler or siren from within the park. The only reminder of the city surrounding you is the tops of buildings that peek over the trees. Everyone that whines, “I need to get out of the city,” needs to take a trip to the park.

10. There is never a dull day.

No matter where you live, you may one day find yourself in a rut. You may start to think that your day-to-day is stale. However, if you really open your eyes here, you will see that the city always has something new to offer you. Whether it be a new class to take, or food to try, or art exhibition to see, or just a strange, funny, or beautiful occurrence that breaks up the monotony of a working life... the city stays fresh. You will see people slay with amazing fashion statements pass you on the sidewalk. You will see feats of human ability performed by garbage men and window cleaners. You will see people that should be the next winner of The Voice baring their soul under dripping pipes in subway stations. You will see break-ups, proposals, fights, kisses, and the most lovely acts of kindness. You will see humanity at it's highest and lowest. If you're feeling bored, take another look around you. If you pay attention, there is always something interesting to see, and something to be learned from the world around you.