10 Reasons Why I Miss My Catholic High School

Reminiscing on my Catholic high school experience

2537
Hope Ann Flores

I love college and all the new possibilities and opportunities it presents I find myself missing the atmosphere of my old high school and all the memories I had there. My high school was pretty small so by the time I graduated all those students and teachers were like family to me. The Lansing Catholic community was my close-knit second family that I saw five out of the seven days a week. I will never be able to thank that school enough for giving me some of my closest friends and relationships. Therefore, I have many reasons why I miss my Catholic High School.

1. Weekly Mass

Every week all of the students would go to mass in the chapel. Especially at the beginning of my High School career, I would dread going to mass. We would to another mass once a month that was held in our gym and not small chapel. After my Junior year, I learned to love going to these masses. I was worshiping God with all my close friends and singing some great songs too. All throughout high school, I went to mass twice a week and now during college I struggle to attend once on Sundays. This is something I still find myself working on continually in my life.

2. Praying Before Class

Before every single class at my Lansing Catholic, we would say a quick prayer. There's something so comforting and reassuring about praying before a long lecture or test that college can't give you!

3. The Uniforms

College has been the first experience where I can dress exactly how I want to. I've worn uniforms for 13 years at school and I used to hate them. Somehow you get used to it and it becomes a part of you. I even miss every teacher checking if our skirts were long enough ( yes this is actually a thing not just a scene from the movies). My blue plaid skirt will always be a part if me!

4. My Teachers

By the end of high school, I knew every single teacher in the building. It is so funny to look back on what all the different teachers did and how they ran each class. All of the teachers cared so much about the students. Especially my art teacher who actually inspired me to pursue an art degree at college. They all hold a special place in my heart.

5. The Sports

I was a part of my high school volleyball team for four years. I loved being a part of a close-knit team and practicing together every day. Sometimes we would even have three-hour practices every day, all day tournaments, and long matches. I remember all the girls hurrying to get ready for the Friday football games after practice. The locker room would be chaos! I will never forget the memories our team made together

6. The Retreats

My Senior year most of the students in my class went on a Kairos retreat. This retreat actually meant "God's Time". The students were separated from technology and time during this four day retreat. The experience is something I will never forget. I would spend time praying in my small group, listening to my teacher's and students testimony, and going to mass. I think my favorite part was adoration with live music and being with all my friends.

7. The Building

It's so weird to miss a specific building. I guess going to a huge college has made me miss having a four hallway high school. In a way the building was a second home to me. A place where I felt safe and loved. It was so refreshing to know the whole school inside and out.

8. The Events

Prom, Homecoming, Catholic School's week, Winter dances, and sporting events are all activities I miss about high school. I absolutely loved Prom and going shopping for dresses with my mom. Catholic Schools week we could dress in different themes for the day. I reminisce about all the fun I had with all my friends at these events my high school would have.

9. The Community Service

Lansing Catholic is one of the only high schools who makes completing service a requirement to graduate. At first, I found this a hassle because it was just another thing to do but throughout high school, I grew to love helping others. I would help out at my catholic grades school and other organizations. One of the best decisions I ever made was to attend a week-long mission trip in Beattyville, Kentucky. I traveled with 9 other girls and the trip was life-changing for me. I cleaned houses, organized a thrift store, did yard work, and had the chance to tour the beautiful state of Kentucky. Our school also gets together on a day in April every year and spends the whole day doing various community service acts across Lansing. This is one of my favorite things to do during the year.

10. The Lansing Catholic Community

Last but definitely not least is the community of Lansing Catholic. I have made some of my best friends at the school. Through good times and bad times the whole community stuck together much like a family does. I am forever grateful for the time spent there.