10 Reasons Why Having A Sibling Is Awesome

Siblings are awesome, here's why.

196
Savannah Hemmings

Throughout life, it’s always fun to have someone who cheers you on, protects you, spends time with you, and would do almost anything for you. I am lucky enough to have an older sister, Danielle, who does all of these things (and more). My sister and I are lucky enough to share a strong connection-- our personalities are incredibly similar. In many cases, it tends to be usual for siblings (especially those who are similar) to butt heads and disagree over many topics. I guess to a degree this was the case when my sister and I were younger, but nowadays we seem to be like peas in a pod. There are some things that really suck because of holding the title of being the younger sibling. Some things included in this would be: the constant comparing, living up to the high expectations, sharing rooms/clothes/valuables, and the most important one, being alone when your sibling leaves for college. The most impactful and suck-y thing that I have had to deal with is being the only child once the older sibling leaves. For me, personally, my sister is a far six hours away. It is a really big change when you go from having your sister living a bedroom away to living in an entirely different state, but I can now fully support the claim that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Yeah, I miss my sister a lot and no one can compare ever even remotely compare to her, but she’s always just one simple phone call away. I’ve always felt super blessed to have such an awesome big sister, someone who I can get nerdy with and talk about literally any topic in the universe with. Thus, I decided to compile a list of the top 10 reasons why having siblings rocks.

1. They are built in best friends

Your first friend is always your sibling. They are your lifelong playmate, they understand and trust you instantly.

2. They teach you

There is always more to learn about, and siblings can often learn from each other in school subjects to teaching each other social techniques.

3. Friendly competition

No matter what anyone else says, it’s every siblings goal to beat the other. Whether it’s in a board game, an athletic challenge, or even getting better test scores, siblings challenge each other to be the best they can be.

4. They influence and motivate each other

Coinciding with friendly competition, siblings often influence each other to play a certain sport, like a certain color, and live a certain way. I know my sister has influenced me in my political beliefs, my music taste, and TV shows I watch.

5. They always take your side; even when they shouldn’t

The one ongoing theme I always notice is that siblings are always there for one another. Through the understanding they have for each other, there always is a protective sense to every sibling duo, triple, or group. This comes in handy when one needs backup.

6. They buffer family reunions and events

7. You can choose from two different closets

Now, this may just be a girls thing, but having a sibling who’s clothing you can borrow is a lifesaver. You never run out of cute clothing, and there always is a way to switch up your wardrobe.

8. They keep their notes from classes you have yet to take

Sure, this seems like a filthy way to use your sibling for your advantage, but this simple rule has saved me in multiple ways.

9. They have experience that can help you

It’s always good to learn from experience, and siblings offer a great way to do exactly this. It’s always beneficial to have guidance and expertise, and siblings are luckily here to do just that.

10. They guide you through life

With open arms, siblings guide one another through the rigorous circle of life. They support one another, they care for one another, and most importantly, they look out for one another.