12 Reasons Your Siblings Should Be Your Best Friends

The kid who sleeps in the next room just might be worth getting to know.

132
http://wallpapersafari.com

Siblings can be a blessing, and what feels like a curse. They're always in your stuff, or bossing you around. But... at the end of the day, they should really be your best friends. There are so many blessings to be found in those you grow up with. And you are stuck with them for life, so you might as well consider learning to love them a little deeper anyway.

1. They live with you, so you may as well learn to love them.

It's simple, but very true. One of the best lessons in life is to make something marvelous out of whatever hand life deals you. Get creative; you and your siblings may be very different people, but surely your brother or sister has a few positive attributes you can find. Try spending some time together where you are both mutually enjoying an event and being together. After some time trying to be friends, that little sister might actually turn out to be pretty fun.

2. They have seen you at your best and at your worst.

Everyone has bad days. Families tend to receive the brunt of whatever mood a teenager feels on a particular day. Door slams, eye rolls, and the like all give good examples of what parents have to deal with from time to time. Or… maybe it’s not just the teenager’s moods… Anyway, in the same sense, families are the people who celebrate your success on fantastic, everything-goes-perfect days. At home, your true self is laid out for your family to see. The beauty of family is unconditional love; no incorrigible attitude or failure will take away the love shared between those in a family. Your siblings know what you’re like when you succeed, and they’ve watched you get through seasons of failure. Yet, they still love you. Always.

3. They love some of the same people as you do.

Your siblings are (hopefully) also loved by your parents and your cousins. And, fingers crossed, that feeling is mutual! This little circle of love can make it easier at times to see the best in the sibling that may be driving you slightly batty.

4. They add some fun to being at home.

If you're friends with you siblings, the fun doesn't have to end! Other friends may have to leave, but your family stays at home, at least some of the time. Being buddies with your siblings means you always have a friend around, so life will never be too terribly boring.

5. They understand your weaknesses (even though they may take advantage of this from time to time).

As mentioned in reason #2, your siblings see your worst days, so they know where your weaknesses lie. This is such a blessing because your brother or sister can distinguish what is difficult for you. He or she reads into when you are struggling, and when you need help. They get you.

6. They relate to your beginnings, and understand where you come from.

One of the best parts of meeting new people is exposing yourself to new perspectives. But, it’s difficult to ever find a friend who truly understands where you really come from. Your siblings were there at your beginning, and they actually experienced many of the same moments as you. Empathy is not arduous to discover from someone who faced the exact mountain.

7. They have experienced your most difficult trials alongside you.

Many of life’s most difficult moments occur within our families. Domestic troubles are a part of the concept of family; those you love the most possess the power to hurt you the deepest. Death, divorce, and financial struggles are just a few of the dilemmas which plague families around the world. These dark times of hardship have the power to bring people together. Your siblings can be the support to carry you through; they don’t the pain you’ve experienced because they bear similar scars.

8. They've watched you grow as a person from day #1.

Your siblings have always been there! They’ve observed your playground habits, and your middle school acne. Brothers and sisters know the obstacles you’ve overcome in your character. They watch your integrity grow as you do. Who else knows you better than one who sees your actions when no one else is around?

9. They share many laughs with you.

Some of my best memories are from road trips across the country, late night homework parties in the living room, and roaring with laughter over sweet reminisces. Family memories are treasures! And they are all the more precious when you’re crazy about the people in the mental movies with you.

10. Even if distance separates you, the relationship will always stay in place.

Never, ever, ever will distance stop the blood from flowing through your veins. Even as families grow older, and children move away to begin families of their own, the bonds remain constant between brothers and sisters. You’re a part of each other for life, whether you choose to admit it or not. When my siblings and I bickered, our mother always told us we are each other’s built-in friends. Time and distance cannot overcome the union of siblings’ hearts.

11. They'll always have your back.

Families stick up for each other. There must be some protective instinct which develops over time between brothers’ and sisters’ hearts. No matter what the cost is, you take care of each other, and care for each other. It’s always worth it.

12. The bond between you is beyond words.

In the midst of joyous successes, and heart-wrenching failures, sometimes words do not say enough. The relationship siblings have carries weight beyond expressible language. A touch, an embrace, and even a look can exchange one hundred feelings and thoughts between siblings who love each other well. It is not simple to explain this love, but observing it is another matter. The love of brothers and sisters reaches a part of the heart only he or she can touch.

In the current culture of hustle-bustle busyness, don’t forget to take time to get to know your brothers and sisters. Don’t allow your own agenda distract you from getting to know the heart who sleeps in the room next to yours. Age and personality can make relationships difficult from time to time, but perseverance is worth the effort. Treat your siblings with kindness, and watch your words; your sibling could grow into your very best friend, your trusted companion.