10 Reasons to Not be a Writer

10 Reasons to Not be a Writer

Reasons I have been told not to become one

374
10 Reasons to Not be a Writer
wikimedia.org

For a while now many people have told me that I shouldn’t be a writer. My response has always been that being a writer is what I will do no matter what people say. Here are both the reasons they give and my responses back.

1. You won't make money

Right, I wont make money. I will be broke for a while but if I make it then, look at the money rolling in. I mean writers make nothing but when they make it

2. You will be lonely

Again not so much, writers go out and have fun. They are never locked in a cell crying about not having friends. Most of the time their friends make the next story.

3. Writer's block means you will lose your job.

Maybe, but if you are smart you will write down all of your ideas, therefore always writing and if you get writers block it's ok because you have other ideas to fall back on.

4. Writers are never happy

Never happy? If you are doing what you love, you are always happy.

5. People will not like what you write

Duh! Even the best have people who don't like them. Even in a regular job, sometimes people don’t like the presentation you put on.

6. Most people will assume it’s a hobby

Family and friends will say get a real job. But if a favorite hobby becomes a job then you are doing something right.

7. Its hard to be a successful writer

It is really? It is so much harder then any other profession if you want be good. Not! Any profession is hard and there is not guarantee you will be successful at it. Being a writer is no different.

8. You will be labeled

Wait, I will be labeled? So once again back to the labels of white collar and blue collar. Hmm,sound sound familiar? Everyone is labeled.

9. You will be trapped

Trapped in what exactly? Always having to write a new novel? Or always having to write the same type of novel? Either way I'm writing something that people want to read.

10. People will bother you with their own ideas.

True. People will always say how you can be better or how the story should have gone. But isn’t that what we have been told in English class since day one, “Don't write this, write that,”so already used to it.

No matter what you say I have heard it before and I already have a come back. Being a writer is what I want and I will achieve it. but also remember...