10 Reasons I Love Pittsburgh

10 Reasons I Love Pittsburgh

I'm not bias, I'm just love my city.

654
10 Reasons I Love Pittsburgh

I love going away to college. Being six hours away from home has been a blessing in disguise, but not because of the whole growing on my own thing. I have always loved my city. Now that I am so far away from it for most of the year, I have found so many reasons to love it when I am home. You can find practically anything and everything here. Whether it’s sports, art, food or music, Pittsburgh has so much to offer. As a native ‘Pittsburgher,' let me enlighten you on some of the best places in Pittsburgh while also giving my top 10 reasons why I love this amazing city.

10. Kennywood Park

One of the truest signs that summer has started is hearing the phrase, "Kennywood's open!" With rides like the Music Express, the Kangaroo, the Phantom's Revenge and Noah's Ark (which has been working since the park opened in 1899), Kennywood is the amusement park that has something for everyone. Delicious funnel cakes, arcade games and rides are the order for the day at this place. Did I mention the movie "Adventureland" was filmed here? It was!

9. Famous Faces

There's this idea that to make it in Hollywood you have to move to Hollywood. While that may be true, where you start out is even more important. Pittsburgh is home for famous faces working in Hollywood right now! Gillian Jacobs, the star of "Community" and the Netflix original series "Love;" Joe Manganiello from "Magic Mike" and "Magic Mike 2;" Zachary Quinto from "Heroes," "American Horror Story" and "Star Trek;" and finally singer Daya all call Pittsburgh home. Not to mention other stars like Academy Award nominee Michael Keaton. Oh and by the way, Gillian, Joe and Daya all went to my high school. Not too bad.

8. Hotspot For Movie Making

Pittsburgh is becoming a hotbed for movies. Including "Adventureland," movies like "The Perks of being a Wallflower," "The Dark Knight Rises" and "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" have all been filmed in Pittsburgh. There are always opportunities to be an extra and one of the best parts about seeing the final film is seeing the city you love play a role.

7. Sports

As I write this article, the Pittsburgh Penguins are one game away from getting a spot in the Stanley Cup Final. The Pirates, Penguins and Steelers have all held great ranks in their respective sporting categories. The new Consol Energy Center and PNC Park are great places to come to and see these teams compete.

6. Museums Of All Kinds

Pittsburgh offers culture that includes the arts and art work of all kinds. The home of Andy Warhol, the Warhol museum is here in Pittsburgh housing the artists work and the Mattress Factory is a trip of a museum (see picture above). You can spend hours in these places including history museums and science museums as well. It is all time well spent.

5. Food

I would talk about the food, but I think the picture does that for me. Promanti Bros. is a Pittsburgh staple. Adding French Fries to our sandwiches and loading everything with cole slaw just adds to this taste bud experience. Not to mention our diner Pamela's with some of the best hot cakes in the country. Just so you know, Pamela's hot cakes are so good the original diner made hot cakes for the President Obama.

4. Arts

With our famous faces, it's no wonder Pittsburgh a creative nucleus for the arts. Tony Award Nominated production "An American in Paris" was partly produced by the Pittsburgh's CLO and garnered rave reviews. Pittsburgh is also proud to be the home of Tony Award winner Billy Porter, who came back to Pittsburgh to reprise his role in "Kinky Boots," given a standing ovation by the whole audience. The Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre has also put on jaw dropping performances and is an exciting and beautiful part of Pittsburgh.

3. The Holidays

The holidays are already great, but there is nothing like being in Pittsburgh for the holidays. From traditions like the CLO's production of "A Christmas Carole" to PPG place being filled with holiday music and it's Santa display. PPG place brings out the outdoor ice skating rink with a giant Christmas tree in the middle. It's a Christmas miracle you have to see to believe.

2. Pittsburghese

Pittsburghese is an art form of a language. If i tried to explain it to you, then you wouldn't understand. So here is a guide to help you out. You may need it when you come to visit!

1. That Skyline

If this picture doesn't make you fall in love with this city, then I don't know what will. As soon as you're here, you'll never want to leave.