10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Join 4-H

10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Join 4-H

They can 'make the best better' -- even you.

1125
10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Join 4-H

I don't think I would be the person I am today without my involvement in 4-H -- and by think, I mean I know I wouldn't. I have been a member of the 4-H program for 14 years, a 4-H camp counselor, 4-H Ambassador, and 4-H Junior Leader. When I joined 4-H at the age of five, I would never guessed the impact this program would have on my life. As I embrace my last year as a 4-H'er, I have reflected upon all the amazing things 4-H has offered me, and the top reasons why everyone should join 4-H.

1. The county farm fair is the best week of summer.

The county farm fair never fails to fall on the hottest week of the summer but no 4-H'er cares. We've waited all year long to meet up with old friends, show off the hard work we've put into our indoor entries, and showcase our livestock animals we've been working with over the last few months. Nothing compares to the five days of greasy fair food, playing pranks on the non- 4-H'ers, and overnight stays in the barn.

2. 4-H camp is also the best week of summer.

Joining 4-H means there are two best weeks of summer. Every 4-H'er, whether you 8 or 18 looks forward to the week spent away from home (at your second home) -- 4-H camp. Camp is filled with loud singing (that if you're doing it right will make you lose your voice), friendly competition between tribes (and by friendly, I mean life or death), and crazy theme nights (whose pictures will eventually end up on Facebook, and make your non 4-H friends question your sanity). Your 'weeks along the creek' will instill passion and spirit in you that will last a lifetime.

3. You will make friendships that last a lifetime.

Those long camp weeks, eight hour club meetings, and weeks spent at the fairgrounds will introduce you to some of your best friends. These people will see you at your worst and still love you. They know exactly how it feels to be kicked by a steer, bitten by a pig, yelled at by your mom because you waited until the last day to do your record book (again), and just how awful the camp food really is. The people you meet in 4-H will forever have a place in your heart.

4. It’s a family ordeal.

There is no greater bonding experience than joining 4-H. There's friendly competition between siblings in the show ring, long nights of last minute record book writing and getting yelled at together, and many, many fights over who mucked out the stall last. At the end of the day you wouldn't want to have spent your 4-H experience with anyone else.

5. The opportunities are endless.

Want to attend 4-H National Congress? You can do that in 4-H. Want to meet with your State legislators and advocate for small farms? You can do that in 4-H. Want to become Miss. Farm Bureau, you can do that in 4-H. These are just three of the endless doors that will be opened and countless opportunities offered through your involvement in 4-H.

6. You will gain countless life skills -- literally countless.

There isn't enough space to even begin to name the million and one skills 4-H will teach you. Instead I challenge you to see for yourself.

7. You will discover what you’re passionate about – guaranteed.

4-H teaches you a lot about life skills but it will also teach you about yourself. I never would have thought I would like showing pigs but it turns out I do, and I am actually pretty good at it. Without 4-H I would have never known this. Think this just applies to showing animals? Think again. Through 4-H I've learned I like to help people a lot, and I can sew and bake-- and I like it. I've also learned I love educating people about agriculture and it brings me great enjoyment. I've become passionate about so many things through my 4-H involvement and you can too.

8. There is a project for everything, and I mean everything.

Do you like cows? There's a project for that. Do you like horses? There's a project for that. Do you like science? There's a project for that. Do you like art? There's a project for that. Do you like modeling? There's a project for that. Do you like driving tractors? There's a project for that. Do you like sewing? There's a project for that. Get the idea?

9. It’s a perfect combination of self-improvement and service.

When you say the 4-H pledge you 'pledge your head to clear thinking,' 'heart to greater loyalty,' 'hands to larger service,' and 'health to better living,' the first three pledges are vowing to think, care, and give to others. 4-H is built upon the necessity to give back, participate in community service, and put others before yourself. This is service. The last pledge, is to take care of yourself, this is self-improvement but by bettering yourself you will make a difference in the lives of others. 4-H balances the need to help others and yourself.

10. It’s more fun than you could ever imagine

No explanation needed.