There's that phrase "History repeats itself," that everyone is familiar with, right? Well, I can't tell how many times these phrases and questions have been repeated, and frankly, I'm just done with hearing them.
If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me this question, I wouldn’t have to worry about even going to college. I’d be so rich. There’s nothing wrong with teaching; teaching is just wrong for me. Patience and tolerance are not my strong suits.
2. “Well, a lawyer then? Get me out of trouble, haha!”
Ughhhhhh, no. Being a teacher or a lawyer are not the only things you can do with a History degree!
3. “You must have very limited career options.”
No, not really. There are all kinds of things I can do with my degree. One of them is not sitting here listening to you, though!
4. “Ugh, I HATE history!"
Cool, you’re entitled to your opinion. Literally the most common response I get. This or, “No offense, but I hate history.” Oh yes, I have taken such great offense. I’m literally so wounded right now, please excuse me while I go lick them.
5. “Really?!? Then what year did _______ happen?"
Yo, I haven’t memorized every little detail in the History of mankind. I mean that’s the goal, but jeez, give a girl a break. I only know so much.
6. “What do even do with a History degree? Read textbooks for the rest of your life?"
Lots. And no. There’s books, records, documents, and even artifacts that I will be dealing with. And you know what? It’s freaking cool, okay?
7. “Don’t you get tired of reading and learning about the same stuff all of the time?"
History is always changing. And we even have discoveries that literally change everything we've ever known about a culture. And every time I take a class I’m already familiar with, I always learn something new every time. Not to mention speculations and other mysteries.
8. “Oh, did you see this thing on the History Channel? I’m sure you did, you must watch it ALL the time!”
Most of the things on the History Channel have nothing to do with actual history, and much of it is entirely inaccurate. Now if you want to watch people pick through old junk and alien conspiracy theories, you came to the right place.
9. “Wanna write my paper for me?”
Girl, I don’t even want to write my MULTIPLE papers, let alone yours. I can help you with the setup, but that’s about as far as I’m going.
10. And then there's the worst-- the blank stare and silence.
Shock factor. The one where the eyebrows shoot to the moon and the eyes widen up. Guess it wasn’t what you were expecting me to say, was it?