10 People Who Won 2016

10 People Who Won 2016

2016 didn't treat everyone overwhelmingly negative.

9
10 People Who Won 2016
Clipart Kid

Plenty of people are saying the same thing this year that everyone says every other year: "I am so glad 2016 is behind us." Obviously, every other year people weren't saying that 2016 was behind, but you feel me. I mean, sure we've had our ups and downs throughout the year, but what else is new? What makes this year any worse than another year?

Let's be real. Some people had a rocking 2016. Great things were accomplished and great things will be remembered.

1. The Donald

This is an easy one. Obviously, the President-elect won 2016, because he really did. He won. In 2016. Therefore, he won 2016. And all you sad people who say he's "Not my President," he actually is, so you should probably accept Donald's advice in the above gif.

2. The People Who Made Pokémon Go

Whoever these people are made a killing this year. For some reason, people absolutely lost their minds over this game. Y'all. My campus was decorated with Pokémon balls (I don't actually know if that's what they're called or not, but you get the picture.) and weird little alien animal things for the first half of the fall semester. Our monthly newspaper/magazine's first cover was devoted to the game. And anything that can make GROWN people dress like the winter bird thing above definitely wins. Good for y'all, game makers, good for y'all.

3. Leo & Oscar

HE DID IT! Leonardo finally got his coveted Oscar this year. So he won the year, but I'm going to take a moment and say that the movie The Revenant was nowhere near as good as the book. I mean, it usually isn't, but in the book, HE DOESN'T HAVE A SON like he does in the movie. I'm just saying. I'm done ranting now. In all seriousness, though, he did do a really great job in this movie.

4. Tomi Lahren

Whether you agree with her views and her final thoughts (haha, I'm so punny.), you most likely know who she is. In the past year, this 24-year-old Conservative television show host has gained extreme notoriety for her unapologetic, unafraid views on things happening in our country and in our world. She has been attacked for being abrasive, mean, and incendiary, but she just says what some people are (read: I am) thinking. However, negative comments from her liberal opposition have earned her national attention and they now where she stands on many issues. I wonder how many people just exited the web page?

5. Wonder Woman

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice didn't even have her name in it, but she was obviously the standout. While plenty of people were surprised at Ben Affleck's aptitude for playing Gotham's Caped Crusader, Gal Gadot gave people what they wanted, a return to a live-action Wonder Woman. She was the star and she set herself up wonderfully for a substantial career as an Amazonian Princess.

6. Confused Math Lady

I'm sure you know the confused math lady meme. I don't actually know where it came from, but I think of it every single time I hear something unintelligible. You know, if we think about it, she probably isn't really that funny, but it gets me every dang time. She also get used a lot, so I'd classify her as successful, whoever she is.

7. Kermit the Frog

Me: "The evil Kermit meme killed 2016."

Me to me: "You right."

Did I do that right? Definitely not, but that's why I write articles and not memes. :) But this is probably the only meme that was reproduced more than our beloved confused math lady.

8. Mannequins

I am still legitimately trying to figure out why in the world the mannequin challenge was ever a thing? Y'all don't look like mannequins. Y'all have all of your body parts. Chop off a couple arms, legs, and maybe, if you're feeling crazy, a head. Then, you'll look like a mannequin. Except, then it still won't make sense, because you shouldn't be filming, you should be calling an ambulance. Lots of people did it, though, so it's a win, unfortunately.

9. Ken Bone

In case you don't know this man, this is Ken Bone. He was one of the people who got to ask Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton a question at the town hall style presidential debate. For some reason, Ken sparked a frenzy on Twitter and was quickly immortalized as a meme. Though it didn't last long, Ken proved to us that even normal man can be famous for anything...and then be normal again a couple of weeks later.

10. Me, Duh

What? I, Alex Jones, made this list? Wow. What an honor. But really though, I did win 2016. I didn't die, so that's a plus. I'm saved, so there's a big plus. I'm as sarcastic as ever, plus. And I'm swipe right material, plus. So, I saved the biggest winner for last. Thanks, 2016.

Congratulations, winners. Try to keep your streak alive next year. Even though Trump and I are probably the only ones who will.

Honorable Mentions: Arthur's Fist, Lin-Manuel Miranda, J.K. Rowling, American Olympians (None of these folks were quite cool enough to edge me or these people out. Try again next year.)