10 Omaha Musts For Foodies

10 Omaha Musts For Foodies

Get ready to be really hungry.

72
10 Omaha Musts For Foodies
Google Images

If you didn't know before, now you do: Omaha is one of the leading test markets for restaurants in America. Cool, huh? This, of course, means that there are plenty of places to eat to your heart's content and your stomach's limits—as often as your wallet allows. Even though I want to be selfish and keep these places to myself, I guess I'll give you a list of my all-time favorite places to eat in Omaha.

1. Saigon Bowl: 6307 Center St.

This. Place. I cannot recommend Saigon enough. Take your parents there, take your best friends there, take your dog there, take anyone you can there because it is amazing. They offer the best of Vietnamese food like spring rolls, ribs, pho, various bowls with a variety of entrées.

My recommendation: 5-spice grilled chicken bowl, steamed jasmine rice, stir-fry veggies, crispy shallots, fresh lime wedge, Sriracha blend sauce, and a double order of sesame sauce. Grab a cold grapefruit Izze on the side and you're golden.

2. Brick Oven: 624 S 72nd St.

(Also known as Night Flight Pizza). You haven't had good pizza until you've been to Brick Oven, and I'm being 100% serious. Not only is the pizza great, the people that work there are some of the sweetest people you will ever meet. The hole-in-the-wall pizzeria is small and usually is empty, except for the employees and the classic rock music in the air (tonight). And the best part? They're open 'till 1am!

My recommendation: 6-inch build your own, thick crust, marinara, mozzarella, Italian sausage, cream cheese (yes, cream cheese), and Sriracha drizzled on top. You can probably guess by now I kinda like Sriracha.

3. Jams Bar & Grill: 7814 Dodge St. or 1101 Harney St.

The swanky, low-lit restaurant is bustling with friendly wait-staff, bartenders, and patrons alike. Don't expect to have a private table when you come here, though. There are long tables down the center of the restaurant and a single booth seat bolted to the wall down the whole span of the restaurant with tables and chairs placed across at different intervals. Great place to go to before a show at The Orpheum or to watch whatever game is on that night.

My recommendation: THE RAMEN BOWL! Fully loaded with an egg, scallions, pickled ginger, and house roasted pork belly...side of Sriracha.

Tip: expect to take some food home, unless you haven't eaten all day because their portion sizes are HUGE. Great place to get a pretty sizeable bang for your buck.

4. Amsterdam: 620 N 50th St.

This is the only Amsterdam in Omaha I will ever eat at, do not trust the one in Flagship Commons. In fact, the only place that's acceptable to eat at in Flagship Commons is Blatt, everywhere else tastes like formaldehyde. Anyways, the small shop located around the corner from eCreamery boasts the scent of curry wafting out into the street. The hipster employees make sure to load your order to the brim of whatever packaging or plate you're eating on, so it's a smart idea to eat outside at the tables.

My recommendation: anything, really. Personally, I always get the döner kabob sandwich with spicy red sauce and everything except pickled cabbage. If I'm with other people I ask them to get curry fries so I can steal some, which I really shouldn't do because I'm allergic to curry. But hey, what's life if you don't live on the edge a little?

5. The Greek Islands: 3821 Center St.

I had a difficult time choosing between here and Jim & Jennie's for Greek, but ultimately, nostalgia wins this round. Some of the employees there I remember from when I was a kid, so it's owned by some pretty legit people. This place is jam packed every weekend, so reservations are basically mandatory if you dine-in.

My recommendation: Athenian salad with chicken or Greek meat, OR a gyro with Greek meat, no tomatoes. And always, always, always get Greek potatoes. If you dine-in, try out the flaming Saganaki!

6. Three Happiness Express: 5107 Leavenworth St.

I'm a huge fan of Chinese food, and if I love this place enough to keep coming back after 15 years, they must be doing something right. Large servings for a great price, this is the place to hit up during the winter months when they turn the heat up. Literally, they make all their food spicier in the fall and winter months.

My recommendation: As many servings of hot and sour soup, sesame chicken, and egg rolls you can bear to eat. If you like really saucy food, like me, this is a great place to get some food drowned in sauce.

Tip: Avoid the orange chicken. Unless you like flavors so strong it tastes like Pledge...

7. Voodoo Taco: 2295 S 67th St

You're probably really upset I didn't put Cali Taco here. Guess what, I hate Cali Taco, so go ahead and reprimand me all you want. Voodoo Taco is a place I go only when I am hungry enough to eat a table. The laid-back vibe and garage door windows make this a cool summer hangout.

My recommendation: Two loaded barbacoa beef tacos, tomatillo sauce (habanero lightning if you can handle it), a side of chips and guac and, of course, beignets for dessert with chocolate sauce.

8. Lisa's Radial Café: 817 N 40th St.

Hands-down the single best breakfast/brunch spot in all of Omaha. If you plan on going to Sunday brunch, be ready to wait about 40 minutes, so maybe don't go to Sunday brunch. The little dive has a family history vibe to it, and Lisa is nothing but kind to the customers. Cheap deals for some phenomenal food, this is one place you will want to definitely eat at every day!

My recommendation: The Fast and Simple. Two scrambled eggs, french toast subbed for regular toast, and sausage. I also really recommend you try the banana chocolate chip pancakes, you'll never want regular pancakes again!

9. Christy Creme: 2853 N Broadway, Council Bluffs, IA

Now I realize this isn't an Omaha gem, but hear Iowa out just this once. Christy Creme is another childhood favorite. Its charming 1950s ambiance sets the carefree summer mood we all crave. This shop closes from November to February, so get in while you can! And yes, I'm saying it's better than eCreamery and Ted & Wally's, what're ya gonna do?

My recommendation: a twist cone. Make sure you order it at the little walk-up window, just because it's cute.

Tip: make a trip across the river often to catch their "sherbet of the day" flavors!

10. Caffeine Dreams: 4524 Farnam St.

I've already written an article on why "Condom Cafe" is so amazing, but I just had to add it here. You'd think they don't have much to eat here, but they have plenty of options for whatever you're feeling.

My recommendation: Grilled. Cheese. Wrap. Oh my word. White cheddar, gooey brie, and sliced green apples all grilled in a whole wheat wrap with a side of your drink choice (and cookies, of course) make for one of the best quick meals you will ever have.

There ya have it! If you ever need a discount or free food, just let me know. I always end up getting free food somehow, it's an art. Enjoy!