Caffeine Dreams, You Beautiful Bastard

Caffeine Dreams, You Beautiful Bastard

Let's not talk about how much money I've spent here, okay?

40
Caffeine Dreams, You Beautiful Bastard
Olivia Howard

Caffeine Dreams. The greatest place on earth...I'm not even joking either. Though words cannot describe how much I absolutely love this place I call "home", words can describe the atmosphere of the hole-in-the-wall coffee shop.

There's a good chance you've driven right past Caffeine Dreams and not even known what the heck it was. Located just off of 45th and Farnam, a plain brick building sits on the corner with a weather-worn and extremely faded metal sign on the back labeled "Caffeine Dreams", with chipped hints of a coffee cup displayed next to the words. The windows are darkly tinted, and there is a large privacy fence on the side. Unremarkable on the outside, it's too easy to overlook this gem.

Upon entering, you are instantly blanketed with the smell of in-house ground coffee, pastries, tea, and whatever treats or wraps that might be grilling (they offer many vegan options if that's your choice!) The music ranges anywhere from modern indie bands to classic 1960s swing, maybe even some Biz Markie or Queen if John Paul is working. Two friendly faces will greet you upon your arrival, and being a regular means someone will usually give you crap if you haven't been in a few days because, "You are here enough that we might make you start paying rent." Eventually they catch on and practically have your order ready as soon as you walk in the door—summertime means 16oz black iced tea and chocolate chip cookies, winter means a mug of hot chamomile tea and...chocolate chip cookies, I like cookies, okay?

There is jewelry, DVDs, business cards, flyers, clothes, succulents in jars, and a "Boink Bin" full of free condoms and lube—which spurred my friends and I to call the shop "Condom Cafe"—that adorns the shelves and counter tops of the entrance. In one area, there are four couches usually occupied by students doing school work (FYI: the orange couch is the comfiest). There are tables strewn throughout the shop on the upper and lower levels and seating at the bar where stacks upon stacks of games are available to play. The brick walls are covered with many pieces of original art given to the shop and available for any customer to purchase. Both the women's and men's bathrooms are COVERED in quotes, tips, and jokes that people have written as they walk in and out. They have painted over the walls twice in the almost two years I have been going there, a sad event when it happens.

Outside might be my favorite spot in the whole shop. The patio out back is much larger than you'd think. It's three tier system allows many guests to sit and enjoy the outdoors for hours on end. There are tables scattered around the back, most adorned with a bowl full of cigarette butts. During the day, the lowest seating area is the spot to be, with the leafy green trees overhanging to shield you from the harsh sunlight. At night, the deck comes alive with sounds of laughter, sipped straws, and the flicks of lighters as most people smoke their brand of cigs outside. Fridays and Saturdays allow customers to stay until midnight, while all other days they are open until eleven at night, and most people stay till closing time until they are kicked out.

This isn't just a coffee shop, it really is a home away from home. I have made countless memories there, met so many new people, and have had some of the greatest times of my life spent there talking with my friends. There's a good chance you'll see me if you go towards night time, and if you do, stop to say hi. I'm always up for a nice chat!

Oh Caffeine Dreams, how I do love you...as I am sitting under your trees.